Massachusetts Building Code

Hello. To what degree (if any) can a homeowner perform their own electrical and plumbing work in Massachusetts?
A new 200 amp service was installed (with the proper permit) by a licensed electrician; can we install the new wiring for the house interior without a permit?
Also wondering if all the plumbing can be done by the homeowner so long as it's signed-off by a licensed plumber?
Thank you,
fpb

Not likely. Here in New Jersey a homeowner can work on his/her own single family detached house as long as it is not a rental unit, but a permit would still be required. You are better off having a permit and getting the work inspected.

You had better consult with a plumber who is willing to do that BEFORE you start. By having him sign off on your work he assumes the responsibility for your installation.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Dunno. But for contrast, here in Houston, I replaced a funky circuit-breaker box with a new 200-Amp unit. No permit or inspection required. Electrical contractor quoted $1700; I did it for about $250. That was almost two years ago.
Houston also has no zoning. I'm considering putting a couple of gas pumps in the front yard. Since I have a circular driveway, it oughta work out swell.

MA is big on licensing for most anything. Check your local inspector before you start.
Not really. You can do it yourself here and I am trying to remember the full details, I am pretty sure you have to put up some kind of bond. And you are asked questions, not sure if it is in the form of a test. And you are inspected very carefully(you know what I mean). I do know for sure it can be done for electrical. I do not know anyone first hand that has done it. I had always understood in MA we could not do any electrical or plumbing here since they passed a law some years ago. Only reason I have any knowledge of this is my electrician who explained to me it could be done by a homeowner under conditions and that they make it near impossible with very technical stuff. I had tried many years ago when I added a small stairway to my house to get a permit to put in one light in the stairway and was turned down and was told it could only be done by a licensed electrician. They really are a pain here. My electrician at least let's me help so I can keep some of the bill down. We are talking legal here. Good luck.
And yet (if I remember This Old House correctly) they allow plastic electrical boxes including breaker panels. Or were they in another state that day?
It's one thing to allow Romex but IMHO plastic boxes is going too far since you figure if there is going to be a problem it's more likely to be at a box location. At least use metal there. Just my opinion.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

<http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1Consumer+Protection+%26+Business+Licensing&L2=License + Type+by+Business+Area&L3=Home+Improvement+Contractor& sidops&b=terminalcontent&f=dps_faq_homeowners&csidops>
"A homeowner may choose to hire anyone he/she wishes to perform work on his\\her own home, or a homeowner may choose to perform work his\\herself. However, before making any decisions, please consider the following information:
If you choose to perform building construction work on your own home or if you choose to hire unlicensed, unregistered persons, you must secure a permit under what is called the homeowner exemption (see 780 CMR, Section 108.3.5 below). In doing so, you assume all responsibility for the project (i.e. ensuring the end product conforms with all pertinent codes, laws and ordinances) and you forfeit any and all rights under the CSL and HIC programs." ...
You'll obviously want to dig into the above in more detail. There may also be additional restrictions at the local level beyond simple the State requirements. Overall, they're part of the mindset states that try to eliminate as much as possible, it appears...

Telephone the city hall building permits office. Mass. law is no secret . . .
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Here's a novel thought. Although, this might sound a bit crazy. Why don't you ask your own building department?
in pittsburgh area retired plumbers inspect everything, and enjoy giving homeowners a tough time..
after all its costing their still employeed friends $$$$