Masonry drills

I can't seem to get masonry drills to last more than a few holes.... Drilling into clay brick or concrete, even if I take my time and keep inserting/removing the bit into the hole being drilled, they just seem to blunt in no time at all. My question is - would it be much better if I use a hammer drill? I have a decent De Walt drill, but not a hammer. Is there anything else I could do to make them last longer?

TIA

Mat

Reply to
Mat and Suzy

Buy a hammer drill, if you want it to work even better, buy an SDS type. They take special SDS bits.

If you are drilling large holes, then use a SDS Max or Spine type hammer drills.

Reply to
kjpro

Hammer drill will work a lot better than a regular drill. Rotohammer with SDS bit will work even better. The main thing I have found is that running them at high RPM burns them quickly. Have a star chisel the size of the hole so that if you hit something, you can insert the star chisel, rap it a couple of times, and fracture the aggregate or hard particle blocking the bit. Use something that is made of hard steel if you don't have a star chisel.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes.

Flood the hole with water to keep the tip of the bit cool.

In general the rapid dulling is due to the tip heating up and wiping out the heat treatment of the metal(s).

But even a cheap (less than us $50) hammer drill is orders of magnitude better for the job.

Reply to
John Hines

I have a Black & Decker 1/2 Andy in Fink, Texas .

Reply to
Andy in Fink

Try some Bad Dog drill bits.

volts500

If your buying el cheapo bits at the home center then there is nothing you can do. Even with a hammer drill they will go away pretty quick. Bite the bullet and buy a Hilti, Bosh, or comparative hammer drill. I have Hilti bits that are 10 years old and work just fine. Bosh is a good drill as long as you stay under a half inch. I have a De Walt cordless that has a hammer selection. Unless I am using 1/4 holes for plastic anchors I get out the Hilti.

I have a TE-52 and up to 2" bits. As well as the points and spade bits.

Reply to
SQLit

I bought a 'chicago' hammer drill from harbor freight. It is no longer hammering. ie. Don't buy this drill! PJ

Reply to
PJx