Masonry blade

I'm fixing to fire up my new used 10" masonry saw and cut some pavers. The blade on there doesn't seem to have many diamonds. It also has no slits. I will fire it up and see how it cuts.
I did check at the stores for blades, and they are all over the board on prices. From $40 to $120. For cutting 2.5" pavers, and mostly tile, what do I need without spending more than I need to? Are there blades better than others, and which ones last? And do I need solid or with slits?
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Slits, slots, etc - different strokes for different folks. Bottom line - you get what you pay for. The Harbor Freight blades work, but won't last as long as Diamond Products/ Target/ etc. Has mostly to do with amount of diamond and matrix. Water is crucial unless you know you have a dry diamond blade. Water works great on dry diamond blades.
Just bought a new Diamond Products 14". +/- $400 with over an inch of diamond and matrix. Expect several years on pavement saw with water.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

What else do you need? Goggles like swimming goggles that completely seal the eyes, at any store that sells swimming stuff has them cheap, a real respirator for dust, not just a dust mask. A cloth painters hood used for spraying paint, it covers your head. Ive seen guys sawing and someone else is using a leaf blower to keep the cutter from being engulfed in dust. The dust is real nasty. If you can hook up a garden hose to keep the brick wet that is best. My neighbor had a contractor doing pavers, the dust coated cars 80ft away and it coated 1/2 the windows on my house. Water is best to keep everyone happy.
ransley wrote:

You can't be too safe!
Don't forget ear protection and steel-toed boots.
Rubber gloves and a flu shot are not unreasonable.
And always wear your safety belt.
What else do you need? Goggles like swimming goggles that completely seal the eyes, at any store that sells swimming stuff has them cheap, a real respirator for dust, not just a dust mask. A cloth painters hood used for spraying paint, it covers your head. Ive seen guys sawing and someone else is using a leaf blower to keep the cutter from being engulfed in dust. The dust is real nasty. If you can hook up a garden hose to keep the brick wet that is best. My neighbor had a contractor doing pavers, the dust coated cars 80ft away and it coated 1/2 the windows on my house. Water is best to keep everyone happy.
REPLY
You really jump to conclusions, don't you? Most tile saws are wet saws. So no, I do not need a total OSHA MSHA PPE HAZMAT outfit. I will wear safety glasses, though.
Fine silica dust inhaled is about the worst work hazard there is, and it is preventable, and very obvious. Yet, how many of us have cut a brick or twenty with dry saws? I'd say a high %.