Masking tapes - need to mask off FOAM and ALUMINUM

I have more lumber to paint now and learned my lesson about using cheap brown masking tapes last time...took me a long time to finally get the tape off with razor blades and "GOOF OFF"...so this time I will get some professional tapes.

Can someone recommend what tape to get for painting in the exterior.

I will be using acrylic paint and primer on pressure treated lumber. I will be applying the tape onto:

(1) Aluminum - extruded aluminum from overhead screen enclosures.

(2) Foam - styrofoam - yes I am serious. I am concerned if I put tape when I peel off the styrofoam will break. If you are wondering why I have styrofoam this is from installing a roof panel over a planter area using the PALRAM SUNTUF system. Their horizontal closure strips comes in foam...see this link:

Look at page 3 accessory 5, the polycarbonate panels sit on top of the foam closure strips, and they are attached to lumber (2x2) that I am going to paint. I know if I paint the foam the paint will crack in no time so I need to mask them off.

I saw some blue 2" 3M tapes at HD for $8.00 a roll are those any good?

Thanks in advance!

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I have always used blue painter's tape for painting. I believe there is a less sticky version in light green. Learned the hard way that leaving blue tape in place too long in the sun will make it impossible to remove. I know that normal advice is to remove painter's tape right away, so's not to pull off fresh paint. That was not the issue for this project.

As for your foam, perhaps you can slip some foil in the seam or under the edge of the frame to shield the foam. I really don't understand the application, and the document won't load on my slow connection. If alum. foil will not work, then perhaps just a piece of cardboard to shield the foam?

Reply to
Norminn

I typically use the 3M blue 14-day tape with VERY good result.

I have never had the blue 14-day tape stick to the point of difficult / impossible removal. Heat & sunlight can make removal more difficult so figure on a several days max.

The only surfaces I have damaged with the blue 14-day tape were floor finish with very poor adhesion & some old / poor condition decorative shellac.

The 1.5" is only slightly cheaper than the 2" (about $1/roll).

Occasionally you can get 3 roll packs at a very good price & they also have much "larger contractor" packs but I seldom need that much tape at one time.

The blue stuff is way more expensive than the cheaper beige tape but imo it's worth it.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

It's hard to explain, but it's a polycarbonate roofing panel, it's corrugated so they have a corrugated foam strip that goes between the panel and the framing lumber. I am trying to paint the framing lumber but not the foam.

In any event the foil is a good idea, I started to try it and use a

12" drywall taping knife to help me "tuck" in the foil, but then after a few minutes of that I just used the drywall taping knife itself as an edger and went with it. Works fine. Just a bit sore and I am only half done.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

I learned my lesson on the cheap beige tape (and I got mine at a dollar store I think it was 3 rolls for $1 LOL). I used the blue tape yesterday and taped everywhere. Then it got dark and I was only 50% done. So I peeled off the ones I am done and left the rest of the tape there. I hope it will not be a problem when I continue the work which could be tomorrow afternoon or Friday afternoon.

Reply to
nmbexcuse

clipped

That should be fine - you just don't want a new paint film to overlap the tape and dry - the fresh paint film is not as strong as the tape and can pull away. If you need to put tape on new, dry paint (it must not be tacky, and preferable that it is fully cured)it helps to remove the tape by pulling it back on itself rather than straight out from the surface. Fold under a little tab at the end of the tape when you apply it to make it easier to pull off :o)

If you back is achy, put ice on for 10 min. every four hours for the first day or two, heat after that. :o)

Reply to
Norminn