Marking tools for easy readability

Page 4 of 4

Do
I've got a keyfob that does all that, and now that you remind me, I could technically use that to get in and out of the car (unless the battery dies!) and keep the RF enabled key hidden somewhere in the car. The RF keys (it's a 2002 Chrysler minivan) have no battery, just a bulbous head.
I just had a friend go through conniptions after locking his keys in the car with the ignition on. It turns out that on that model Ford, when the ignition is on, the keyfob doesn't work. We finally got in by using a coat hanger to push the power window button. That incident reminded me I had only one RF key for my van, and I ought to get a second one.
-- Bobby G.

an
middle.
thick
The only wallet keys with the chip that I have seen would be on the real high end stuff like Lexus.
What I would suggest is to get a spare with the chip, stash that in the trunk and then get the wallet key that will let you into the trunk.
What kind of car do you have?
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
Roger Shoaf wrote:

Oooo! Good idea!

Do
2002 Chrysler minivan
-- Bobby G.

OK there are two ways to approach this one. First is as I suggested would be to stash the transponder key inside the car somewhere and use a standard key for entry. The second way would be to bypass the transponder system. Here you could remove the antenna ring from around the lock and tape a key inside and use a mechanical key to start the car.
This is not advised if you are in an area that you are likely to have a minivan stolen, and your insurance company may very well balk if it is and you file a claim and they find out you had bypassed the theft deterrent, but the choice is yours.
--
Roger Shoaf
wrote in message news:hd1vao$nc3

standard
but
Since my need for a spare key came about as a result of kids trying to steal the van, and the insurance company only providing one replacement key, I would have to say I live in an area where minivans are stolen. (-:
I've been Googling all over to try to find the cheapest way to get a second or third key made up, and it turns out that the equipment to do so would cost as much or more as the getting the keys made from a locksmith, and there's no guarantee they would work, either.
So, it's back to Google and then the phones on Monday to see who's got the lowest prices on Chrysler minivan RF keys.
Thanks for your input, Roger.
-- Bobby G.
wrote in message

second
OK see your local locksmiths. There will be two options here, one is to clone the key you have and the second option is to have the locksmith reprogram with standard keys. You can get by cheaper if you go without the remote buttons on the duplicate keys.
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote: (snip)

That is what I did, mainly to get smaller keys. Sure wish all the doors had lock cylinders, though, like my old van. Or at least a separate fob for the buttons, like it had. Damn cheap Chrysler.
-- aem sends...

the
Not just Chrysler but all makes are omitting mechanical lock cylinders on trunk and passenger doors. An option is to buy the handles for the base model without the keyless entry but that is expensive.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:00:56 -0500, "Robert Green"

Use a brand of paint marker.
http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/ProductCategory/paint_markers.html
http://www.pinrestore.com/PaintPens.html
http://www.abbeon1.com/adf03/paintpens.html
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Degrease real well, and paint the engraved letters with a junkyard pen, then wipe off the excess.
Does Sears still sell the Giant Type socket sets? I haven't looked at their displays lately, since the only socket I have used in last couple of years is a spark plug wrench on the yard equipment.
-- aem, who is getting to have trouble seeing stuff like that myself, sends....
<stuff snipped>

I've used this technique and it works well if the letters are stamped, but the lettering on my socket set is very, very finely etched - I think it's done with a laser, and hardly any paint is left in the grooves. )-:

sends....
I guess we've got a lot of baby boomers going "boom" here . . .
-- Bobby G.

short
over
Thanks for the URL's. Maybe a different brand of paint pen then the Berol's I've been using will do a better job. The Berol's lasted a little while, but after sufficient use started to flake off. Chrome is a lot slippery than I thought.
-- Bobby G.