Marking tools for easy readability

Page 2 of 4

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've not had one who thought it bad (it isn't). BTW, one can do it with glasses too in lieu of bifocals. In fact - if you need trifocals - you can do it with bifocals. I did...got tired of the trifocals, made my head bob around like a dolly hanging from a mirror in a chevvy. Now I use progressives. Even better.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Whose gonna clean up the coffee you just made me spit up! (-: My take on trifocals, exactly. They made my neck hurt I was doing the spring-head doll dance so much.
Went back to bifocals but just might try progressives - if I can get them in my RX. I've got some bizarre astigmatism that causes lens makers fits and makes it very hard to use contacts successfully.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Ditto. I've had no problem with progressives but it does take a week or so to get used to them. They still aren't a perfect solution but I've not yet found an 18 year old new eye donor :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote in message news:yCeIm.48118

so
yet
I remember a movie where guys in EMT suits come to cut some guys heart out and as he protests they say: "This IS your signature on the donor card, isn't it?" If I could remember the movie's name, I probably wouldn't need progressive lenses!
-- Bobby G.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Okay with him.
It's roughly equivalent to wearing a hearing aid in only one ear or walking with a single cane.
If there exists any concern, routinely switch which eye has the contact. If you're like most people, the shape and size of each eyeball are the same as the other, so you only need one, er, "shape"(?).
Bi-focal contact lenses are also available.
HeyBub wrote:

One other point...
Everyone has one dominant eye. If you do the near/far lens thing, put the prescription for the activity you most use (near/far) in the dominant eye.
You can determine which eye is dominant by pointing at something. Now close one eye...are you still pointing where you were? If so, the open eye is the dominant eye.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

close
the
Neat trick. What does it mean if when you close either eye, neither is pointing at the right object?
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Stay away from guns, you'll never hit anything..
--

dadiOH
____________________________

re: "...are you still pointing where you were?"
Of course I am.
Closing one eye didn't make my arm move.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Then close the other eye.
If you'll look carefully when you point you'll see that there are *two* fingers out there pointing (unless you only have one eye). When pointing, our brain ignores one of them and selects the dominant eye as the "rear sight".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Whoosh! Right over your head. :-)
I wasn't talking about eyesight mechanics or the brain's interpretation of the light rays entering either eye.
I was simply stating that I was still *pointing* to the exact spot that I was *pointing* to before because my arm didn't move.

Been there, done that! (-: Ratshack used to make a serviceable magnifier with a small higher mag inset lens and a battery powered illuminator. About 6 bucks a piece and worthless after the take one hard fall. Also, the battery contacts and switch are cheap sheet metal and they fail after a while but I wouldn't (actually couldn't!) live without them in each and every room of the house. Paint pens work beautifully on them, FWIW, but they're plastic and I assume the solvent eats right into it, assuring good adhesion.
I have an even older friend who's too vain to wear his glasses or use a magnified and lately he's burned up a hard drive putting the molex *keyed* connector on backwards, set DIP switches wrong by not realizing he was looking at them upside down and broken a ribbon cable with again, a keyed connector on the end by trying to connect it backwards. Well, he didn't exactly break it, he worked at the connector so hard trying to fit it the wrong way that a sharp metal RF shield edge just sawed right through it.
Eventually, he'll get the idea that being able to see is worth the indignity of wearing bi or tri-focals. I hope. (-: I've gotten the message from Mother Nature loud and clear. For now. I hear that hearing is going to be the next thing to go. What's that old joke . . .?
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

I spray stuff with flat black paint then wipe it off so it only remains in the stamped/engraved depressions.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Tried that, but these damn sockets have incredibly finely etched lines and no paint to speak of sticks.
Thanks for your input,
-- Bobby G.
Use a sharpie marker and after it dries, cover it with clear tape.

That's probably going to be the ultimate solution - that or adding another layer of clear tape on top of the labelmaker tape.
Thanks, Mike,
-- Bobby G.

re: "...so that they can be read in dim light by old fogeys?"
Others have already suggested reading and/or magnifying glasses.
I'll suggest turning on a friggin' light! ;-)
(See ya..I'm off to the dollar store for reading glasses and a flashlight.)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

One handy device inherited from a dedicated handiperson is a fluorescent lamp with a magnifier in the center. PIA if you need to move it, but the lighting and glasses bit doesn't always work.....my condo has large windows on all sides but the lighting is often not sufficient for older eyes and fine work. New prescription, so that's not an issue.

I have a lamp similar to this mounted on my workbench. Mine has a flip- up cover to keep dust off of the magnifying glass.
And yes, I have used it to determine socket size many times!
Also great for removing splinters, especially tiny metal ones.
http://www.nettally.com/palmk/MagnifyingLamp.jpg
news:6e542567-ad5e-487c- <stuff snipped>

That's a great idea. I'm always having to wipe it down before using it. I could easily make one out of a coffee can lid and some velcro.
Thanks for your input, DD3,
-- Bobby G.