Marking ends of Romex to identify?

If you want to use a white wire in a Romex for other than a neutral, is it permissible to wrap the ends with black tape? Case in point, I currently have a light on switch A on one side of my kitchen and another light on switch B on the opposite side. What I want to do is change the switches to 3 way and connect the two lights so they will be controlled together by either switch.

My plan is to run a 3 conductor Romex between the two switch boxes:

Blk- Use to connect the light on box A to light on Box B Red - Traveler between switches Wht - Mark with black, second traveler

This sound OK?

Reply to
trader4

Use the reidentified white for the hot, and the red/black for the travellers. It is the regular way of doing things and perfectly legal.

Reply to
gfretwell

I prefer to use permanent magic marker instead of tape, but a non-white tape should be OK too. As long as the wire is permanently made non-white, it's OK by NEC.

Reply to
Andy Hill

YES - Or color them with a black or red permanent marker (its easier).

Reply to
emailaddress

Make sure you clean the krusty ends before you mark them otherwise the ink may wipe off.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd Bonifide