Marking ends of Romex to identify?

If you want to use a white wire in a Romex for other than a neutral, is it permissible to wrap the ends with black tape? Case in point, I currently have a light on switch A on one side of my kitchen and another light on switch B on the opposite side. What I want to do is change the switches to 3 way and connect the two lights so they will be controlled together by either switch.
My plan is to run a 3 conductor Romex between the two switch boxes:
Blk- Use to connect the light on box A to light on Box B Red - Traveler between switches Wht - Mark with black, second traveler
This sound OK?
On 10 Dec 2006 07:39:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Use the reidentified white for the hot, and the red/black for the travellers. It is the regular way of doing things and perfectly legal.

I prefer to use permanent magic marker instead of tape, but a non-white tape should be OK too. As long as the wire is permanently made non-white, it's OK by NEC.
On 10 Dec 2006 07:39:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

YES - Or color them with a black or red permanent marker (its easier).

Make sure you clean the krusty ends before you mark them otherwise the ink may wipe off.
Lloyd