Marble Tile over brick?

Seemed like an easy job. Pop the terrazo around the fireplace off, and stick the marble on.
Terrazo was backed by an inch of mortar over brick.
I'm thinking that doubling 1/2" backer board is the best way, but how do I secure it to the brick? Thinset comes to mind, but seems like the vertical section needs a little more than thinset to hold it. What would work best with red clay brick? I fear tha the backer board screws will not bite into the brick.
Stud gun maybe?
Anyone have experience with this?
Would like to make the tiles wind up flush with the surrounding sheetrock.
Thanks!
-alex
Alex wrote:

Thinset adhesive will work, just use the good stuff.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"