Marble tile installation

I plan to install marble tile around the fireplace. The surface is painted brick. Should I strip off the paint first? What adhesive would you recommend? Should I install wire mesh? Thank you.
Taty
Taty writes:

You understand it will almost certainly be stained, assuming you actually use the fireplace for fires?
Taty writes:

I would suggest polymer-modified thinset. However you need something in white, the standard gray can bleed through porous marble. Paint has to come off.