Maple roots and water meters

I seem to have a maple whose roots are getting close to the water meter. Because of the clay in the area and possibly the fact the I use a sprinkler system. the roots are on the top of the ground. Should I be worried about the roots messing up the meter or the pipes to the meter or from there to the house? If so, what should I do to stop there march?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

No I would not worry, its not your watering or soil but many maple varieties have roots near the surface that kill grass if stressed from shade, and strangle any plant life, keeping it from maturing fully. Many maples compete heavily for near surface water.

Reply to
ransley

In Arizona, I had the roots from some kind Ash/Cottonwood tree find their way to my sprinkler system manifold. It must have been leaking just a little, but when the roots got done working their way between the pieces of pipe (all plastic), they had cracked the manifold in several places. Then because of the expansive soil (clay), I ended up with the front wall of the house rising, the result of which was a lot of settling cracks on the inside.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G