Many uses for Vise-grips

Man shot with arrow in head, feels great after it's removed.

That's the headline from Leno's Headlines last night.

Shot by an ex-roommate with a cross-bow, the arrow went in below his skull and to the left of his spine, and came out, or got close, to his forehead above his left eye. But seems to have damaged nothing important. Doctors cut off the arrowhead, and used sterilized Vise-grips to pull the aluminum shaft out from the other direction.

(They had also cut off the feathers and the shaft about 2 inches from skin, so they could lay him on the operating table.)

Here is another version of the same story by the same reporter, Brigitte Greenberg of the AP.

You can use the cursor and mouse to read the whole story. It doesn't mention the Vise-grips, and the story is in a substantially different order. . Maybe it was edited by The Hour in Norwalk, Connecticut, but I didn't think they would make so many changes. .

Reply to
micky

I prefer the much less exotic --and painful!-- example of when I used a really small pair (2"-3") as a handle on my car's old fashioned wind wing latch. A larger pair served as the inside car door handle.

I always wondered about wind wings. Were they primarily to reduce turbulance for the driver and/or shotgun passenger or were they really to extract tobacco smoke from the car, which they did brilliantly. Notice how wind wings have completely disappeared with the decline in cigarette smoking. Makes one wonder. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I kept a pair of vice grips under the driver's seat of my '66 lay-down Rambler.

The car had a busted motor mount and if I stomped the gas while making a left hand turn, the engine would lift up causing the fan to hit the cowling and bend the blades over. It made a heck of racket when it did that. I'd pull over, grab the vise grips and straighten out the fan blades.

Man, did I love that car!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mine was '60. Not real pleased initially but it did serve well...

Reply to
dpb

I've used super glue on motor mount rubbers.

I used two pair of grips to compress the springs on my golf cart. I was installing new heavy duty springs.

I still have wings on my datsun. I also have no roof.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I went on lots of camping trips in that car...no tent needed. In fact, no campground needed.

Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife She had a brand new lay down Rambler She parked t'other side of town, layed the Rambler down She said she sure could dig it if I'd knew her

Blues Brothers - 'B' Movie Box Car Blues

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Geeezz. Must be the same year of my dads wagon. Good wagon, 327. Got good service. Metal blue.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I had one of those for about 4 yrs. Inline six flathead that would cruz at 75 all day long. Had no driver side window, but didn't need one. The heater would bake bread and kept me cozy warm through snowy Eastern OR winter. One of the best cars I ever owned. I didn't know the seats would fully recline.

Old 544 Volvos (early 60s) did that. Hadda partially disassemble front seats at hinge to get 'em down, but would make into a full sized interior bed.

nb

Reply to
notbob