manufactured homes

Page 1 of 2
I am considering making an offer on a great piece of property (5 acres) here in WA. The home is a 2001 2/2, 1100 sqft, silvercrest manufactured on a slab foundation. Looks new from the outside and seems solid, the insulation ratings are around 30 for the roof and 26 for the floor/walls, siding is wood, roof is comp, vinyl windows, forced air heat. I am just hesitant since it's a manufactured.. Will it be too hard to resell? Do these homes actually depreciate, like I've heard? Anyone have firsthand experience buying/selling these types of homes? Appreciate any feedback.
Thx! TLF

If it's not in a park, it should always be easy to sell.
I have no feel for what values in your area are; but, the manufactured homes here in Florida are appreciating in value.

This particularly true of homes built to the post hurricane Andrew building codes. This regardless of park or not. Charlie
I am just hesitant since it's a manufactured.. Will it be too hard

That was true of the old trailers, not a modern manufactured house.

We're in the process of buying a Silvercrest. On a permanent foundation, it's considered real property (as in real estate) rather than like a trailer, and will appreciate.
Silvercrest is one of the best. The home is only four years old. What model is it?
Regardless, have a home inspection done, like you would for any other house you'd want to buy.
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
maxinemovies wrote:

I don't know the model but I have asked this of the manufacturer, awaiting response. I gave them the SN so I would imagine they can tell me everything I want to know. I do know it was built in their Oregon plant and has 2x6 framed walls. I talked to the seller today and he said it is anchored to the slab foundation and is considered real property, but I see the listing agent calls it out as a mobile/doublewide.. maybe something to do with WA classification laws. At any rate, this is on 5 (rural) acres that borders dry pasture on 2 sides and backs to 40 acres of cedar timber on the opposite end. In a small town, 8 miles from a larger one that has most everything needed..
Thanks all for your input!! -T

If it is a Mobile home, it should have a title just like a car. If it is a modular home then it will not have a title.

I have heard that it costs more to finance these homes and to insure them. I would check these two items out first.
A friend was going to have one put on his property. The homes are nice. Well built and configurable to your liking. He liked the quality and the house a lot, but the interest rate and the homeowner's insurance made building a regular home a better choice for him. He lives near Tampa.
Mort

Baloney. Where do you get your information from? I've been researching manufactured homes for a couple of years and nothing could be further from the truth.
Check out www.silvercrest.com and take the "factory tour." It's a video of how they build. Our home will have 2 x 8 floor joists and 2 x 6 exterior walls. Typar wrap. We've bumped up the insulation. It's going on a permanent foundation and WILL appreciate.
The bank is eager to give us a construction loan at a competitive rate, which will turn into a mortgage later at less than 6%, the going rate for conventional stick-built homes.
Manufactured homes aren't what they used to be. Not only are some companies building real quality into the houses, but the general perception in the public is improving dramatically, especially in more rural areas.
And we're city folk, not country bumpkins who were raised in a trailer park. We were both raised in the suburbs outside New York City, moved into the city, then to Los Angeles. We've done our homework, and now that we want to live out in the desert, we have every confidence that Silvercrest is definitely the right decision for us.
Despite what you might think of manufactured homes, many people are quite excited to have them available. They have beautiful floor plans that can be tweaked and upgraded and most of the homes bear little resemblance to earlier mobile homes.
Please get your facts straight.
Maxi
Email addy upon request.

Sounds like the salesman did a number on your independent thinking.

I never even talked to a salesman until I had thoroughly researched everything and we decided that this was the way to go. Then we researched sales people to find the one we wanted to work with. She's got an easy job with us because she didn't need to "sell" us on the idea of a manufactured home. We knew what we wanted and how we wanted it done.
My independent thinking is fine, thanks.
What research did you do to bring you to the conclusion that you came to about manufactured homes?
Maxi
Email addy upon request.

Common knowledge. Trailer homes suck. Manufactured homes are same as trailers. Ask any realtor. They don't sell and they don't appreciate.
People don't want 'em.
Oscar,
Get real and lose your old prejudices. I work on HVAC systems in houses, manufactured homes and mobile homes. The new manufactured homes are nothing like the old trailers. Yes, they still make cheap mobile homes. But the new manufactured homes can be VERY nice. Just because you are prejudiced against all manufactured homes, does not mean the whole world agrees with you. I live in a site built house, but there are a lot of manufactured homes I would live in. Some You couldn't tell the differences between the site built and manufactured homes.
Stretch

face it, dude
no matter whether you call it "manufactured home", "mobile home", "modular home" or whatever.......
IT'S A TRAILER
you can't polish a turd!
WAKE UP, PEOPLE!

Maxi
Email addy upon request.

Pop on over to their website www.silvercrest.com and see if you can find it there. I'm curious and would love to know what it is.
Listing agents around here, and even our banker, keep calling it a mobile home, even though they know it's not, and admit that they're doing it out of habit. Just having trouble keeping up with the latest terminology. But they also know full well that a manufactured home on a permanent foundation is real property and will appreciate.
The land sounds beautiful. Got pics on a web page somewhere?
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
On Sun 12 Jun 2005 10:58:50p, maxinemovies wrote in alt.home.repair:

Manufactured homes can be taken even another step further and ordered and installed as a modular home. A modular version has bumped up construction and is also ground set as a manufactured home can be. The cost for the same home model is slightly higher, but the payoff is that they usually qualify for slightly better mortgage rates.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
> Pop on over to their website www.silvercrest.com and see if you can

MAXI -
email me at snowripper_at_gmail_dot_com and I will send some photos, I am curious what model your home is.
Thx T