Manual wheat grinder and well pump recommendation

This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get a lot of good recommendations.
I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder, and shallow well pump. I have a well in my back yard and a couple hundred pounds of wheat in my basement, and I basically want to be able to make flour and water my garden when the power goes off. Anyone have any recommendations - brand names, brands to avoid, where to find such? I live in Lebanon, Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Salem Oregon, which is about an hour south of Portland Oregon.

For hand powered shallowwell pumps, visit your local hardware store, agricultural supply store, Tracto Supply Store, etc. You will find watering a garden that way is very labor intensive.
For grinding that wheat, a coffee grinder was used back inthe pioneer days for small amounts. An option would be to talk to a local mill if one is nearby, they may take your wheat and give you flour in return (taking their cut of course). We used to do that back in WWII.
Harry K

This is for my own usage when the power goes off - I don't need it ground now, I have the wheat vacuum packed. I want to be able to go into my basement, pick up a bag of wheat and the grinder and make flour right there on the spot. We don't drink coffee...hmm...wonder how well a coffee grinder would work? I'm thinking it would be pretty coarse.

Try http://www.lehmans.com at least for preliminary recon.
Cindy Hamilton

I've seen the country living grain mill before - it has a big pully you can use a fanbelt to drive, as well as a hand crank. A bit spendy. I've seen some inexpensive models on eBay, but ...well, you get what you pay for...
Zootal wrote: ...

What you're looking for is a also known as a "stone" or flat rock...
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:21:48 -0600, Zootal

You can try these folks for mill recommendations: www.pleasanthillgrain.com Click on Grain Mills, top left