Manual Transfer Switch

I've been googling about but I can't find exactly what I need. I thought so= meone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch bo= x with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line, a= nd one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the hou= se current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator c= urrent connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generator= and house lines, of course.

Sort of a Y circuit diagram, where the upper arms are the lines to the hous= e and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort of = thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line, and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the house current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generator and house lines, of course. Sort of a Y circuit diagram, where the upper arms are the lines to the house and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort of thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

I'd been looking for a similar switch for a friend. Here's the google link and several links to the same product. It provides a connector for the generator input. The other power input is wired.

Art Todesco

someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch = box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line,= and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the h= ouse current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator= current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generat= or and house lines, of course.

use and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort o= f thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

lockouts are available for some breaker main panels, saving the need for a transfer switch.

its a slide that either allows main breaker on or aux power breaker on but not both at same time

Reply to
bob haller

someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch = box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line,= and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the h= ouse current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator= current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generat= or and house lines, of course.

use and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort o= f thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

RBM had one similar to Art's a couple weeks ago.

scheme is to wire the generator to a circuit breaker and use an interlock to prevent both the utility and generator breaker from being on at the same time. (from John Grabowski)
A safe (and code compliant) way to make a temporary generator connection to the building is to install an "inlet" fitting on the building connected to the generator breaker (use the right amp and voltage rating)

bud--

t someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switc= h box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator lin= e, and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the= house current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generat= or current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the gener= ator and house lines, of course.

house and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort= of thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The above Interlockkit device together with an inlet is my #1 choice. Why just power the well pump when you can power anything off the main panel? You just manage the loads using the existing breakers.

Someone was here a couple weeks ago looking to power a furnace, similar problem. Unfortunately, I don't think he ever grasped the elegance of this solution vs a cord and plug.....

Reply to
trader4

ght someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a swi= tch box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator l= ine, and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up t= he house current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the gener= ator current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the gen= erator and house lines, of course.

e house and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the so= rt of thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I agree that a transfer switch that supplies the entire panel gives the OP a better set up. Why just power the pump when he can power other important things as well?

Maybe his generator has very limited capacity? But a properly installed transfer switch would allow a generator up grade in the future.

OTOH could his "pump only" arrangement be handled via a double pole double throw that was powered by house supply and generator, with the pump wired to the center tap?

Sounds a bit "non-kosher" but schematically it would work and the generator would be isolated from the house supply.

Tell me where I've messed up. :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

ought someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a s= witch box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator= line, and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up= the house current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the gen= erator current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the g= enerator and house lines, of course.

the house and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the = sort of thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Sure, you can do it with a single switch just for the pump. Essentially it's the same thing. Either do it once for whatever you want to power in the house or do it for each thing you might want to power.

Reply to
trader4

On Feb 20, 10:48=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote: Major snippage

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it depends on the OP's objective.....power the pump or supply his residential needs in the event of a power failure.

Only interested in doing the pump, the single switch method is much cheaper & easier but it only does the pump. :(

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line, and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the house current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generator and house lines, of course.

and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort of thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

There are a number of options, as you can see from the responses, but to pinpoint your exact needs, it would be helpful to know if the well pump is 120 or 240 volt.

Reply to
RBM

someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line, and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the house current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generator and house lines, of course.

and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort of thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

I'm running a bit late on this question, but I suggest you try some RV suppliers. A lot of RVs have on board generators to use when they aren't plugged into an out-board AC source. I believe that most now have any automatic transfer switch, but I bet the older ones had a manual switch.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

The only part I disagree with is the much cheaper and easier part. The transfer switch RBM posted the link to cost $85. You can likely find cheaper ones. The Interlockkit panel kit, by comparison, is $150. The rest of the materials should be about the same, except for differences perhaps in length of wire because of one location instead of the other. Labor is also about the same. So, for $65 more you could power whatever you please, not just the pump. I guess it depends on your perspective on that $65.

Reply to
trader4

It is completely kosher.

It is what the devices from Art T and RBM do. They both have a DPDT switch and an "inlet" to connect the generator to. Art's is 230V and can be installed outside. RBM's is 120V.

It would be pretty easy to make your own. Best to use an "inlet" on the generator side.

Reply to
bud--

someone on this group might have a link or answer. What I want is a switch = box with two power sources coming in, house current and the generator line,= and one line going out to power the well pump. When the switch is up the h= ouse current connects to the pump and when the switch is down the generator= current connects to the pump. There'd be no connection between the generat= or and house lines, of course.

use and generator and the lower leg goes to the pump. Seems like the sort o= f thing that should be available but I haven't found it yet.

You are putting the switch in the wrong place for what you want to do. Since you are just interested in powering your pump feed the input to the switch from the output of the breaker panel and the generator.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

The transfer device I posted is a complete unit, albeit for only one circuit. The interlock kit still requires an inlet and some wiring. If you buy an outdoor unit like this:

it adds to the expense

Reply to
RBM

What you want is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) or, if 220v, a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT).

Shouldn't be too hard to find with the above description.

Reply to
HeyBub

The pump is 240 volts.

Reply to