"Manual J" A/C tonnage calculation

How hard is it to do the "Manual J" A/C tonnage calculation for a residential detached home?
(Case in point: a 1966 brick ranch home in Denver Metro; 1400 sq ft main level, 1200 sq ft basement.)
What is the procedure to follow? Download the Manual J spec and follow the instructions? Or is there some kind of software or Excel spreadsheet that will make the calc easier?
I know I'm supposed to insist that the HVAC contractor use the Manual J method, but how do I verify that that they indeed did it correctly, took all the factors into account, did not cut corners in the formulas, etc?
cheers
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:25:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.buildingscienceconsulting.com/resources/mechanical/hvac/509a3_cooling_system_sizing_pro.pdf
On Jun 4, 12:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not particularly hard, does take some experience/expertise to get good data estimates as input...

That's why you look for a competent installer...if they're good, they'll show you and go over the sizing calculations w/ you. If they're the typical, they'll send out a "hired gun" commisioned sales rep and he'll wave his hands and guesstimate, most likely looking at the existing system and copying it.
Of course, if you have had an existing system and it performed well before dying of old age, that's not too bad. OTOH, if it's a first- time installation or other factors have changed markedly, it surely deserves a fresh evaluation. (It deserves it anyway, but is far more likely to be adequate if have had previous success, obviously.)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I don't think there is a source for free Manual J software. I had to submit one for the addition I built to my home. I used Hvac-Calc, here is a link. It's $49 for a one time license. It works quite well, you enter every wall, ceiling, floor, window, door, etc into the program. The results show heat loss/gain for every room, plus totals. It passed my building department just fine.
http://www.hvac-calc.com/main.asp
--
Dennis

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:25:19 -0700, someone wrote:

Get a look at the procedure, and then set up your own spreadsheet if you don't want to pay for one already set up.
My first job, back before PC spreadsheets, was doing these types of calcs. At least I had a 4 function calculator. I started with a slide rule.