Mansfield Flush Valve

Looks like my ancient Mansfield toilet needs to have the flush valve seal, possibly the entire assembly replaced. Although messy doesn't appear to be too difficult a job.

Curious as to whether that flush valve assembly could be replaced with something like a Fluidmaster? Would it be a straightforward substitution or are there pitfalls likely to be encountered. Are these things at all universal?

At this point in time I have not yet removed the valve so I don't know exactly which model it is. All I can tell now is it is mostly plastic.

Reply to
Jim

You have asked about a flush valve. I am really not sure which part you mean so I will answer in a little more detail.

Both parts in the tank can be replaced with universal parts.

The fill standard ballcock type fill valve can be replaced with any of the generics. The non-siphon fluidmaster is a good choice.

The flush assembly can be replaced with a standard flapper type flush assembly though honestly I would not do so. The Mansfield style is superior IMO. The seals on these last a lot longer than the flapper style and only cost a little bit more than the quality flapper. The cheap flappers last about a year in hard water. The Mansfield ones can go 5 times that with no problems.

If pulling the tank to replace the flush assembly be sure to install a new donut washer where the flush valve meets the tank.

Reply to
Colbyt