Mannington icore laminate flooring

I bought some Mannington iCore laminate for my basement, and I have a question about installing it. In one of the rooms the previous owner had a carpet glued to concrete/cement. Do I HAVE to remove the carpet, or can I install the laminate floor on top of that? Scraping the carpet is not exactly the easiest thing.

Thanks!

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

You don't HAVE to do anything you don't want to do. OTOH, if you want the job done right . . . . . . . . .

Get a flat bladed ice scraper with a long handle. if you don't do it, you'll be sorry in a hear or two. Hire a couple of the neighbor kids to do it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Pour more concrete on top of the carpet.

Reply to
Matt

Exactly what would happen in a year or two if I don't scrape the carpet?

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

Could be a year, could be a month. If the carpet is on grade, you have potential moisture/mold problems. Even though you put down a barrier, the carpet is now under the moisture barrier and can get wet from condensation. It can be a real icky mess over time depending on your climate

Laminate is made to be put on a firm foundation. Carpet has flex, minute as it is, and can cause joint breakage in the most used areas over time.

Your house so do what you want. Even the worst of hack installers would take out the carpet, most would refuse to do the job otherwise. . It took me a day to remove mine. You asked for advice, I gave advice. Your choice to follow or not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the clarification. I was curious. The carpet is gone now. The scraper did it.

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.