Manhole Covers

I need a new manhole cover in my drive. Should I insist on an iron or aluminium surround and cover which I had expected or is a plastic surround just as robust and long lasting?
--
Don

Now a days everything is plastic. Personally, I'd insist on iron or steel. You'll be replacing a plastic one in a few years again, and once the sun starts to break down the plastic, it becomes dangerous to anyone stepping on it. I dont care what kind of plastic it is, it will deteriorate when exposed to weather, and metals last much longer.
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:29:29 +0100, Don Phillips

I remember reading that the cheap metal ones are made in India and cost almost nothing but need to be ground smooth before being usable.
wrote:

or
Thanks everyone for your comments. You have basically agreed my first impressions. I will stick to the old galvanised frame and cover as originally expected.

--
Don

Is this manhole cover yours or is it owned by the local utility authority? If it's yours and in a traffic area - I would go with caxst iron - no doubt. If this owned by the city or local utility company, you may just get what you get.
Jim