Malware more likely in Windows 7 PCs than XP: Microsoft

Page 1 of 2

http://www.delhidailynews.com/news/Malware-more-likely-in-Windows-7-PCs-than-XP--Microsoft-1399714500/
The newly published Microsoft Security Intelligence Report (SIR) has said that the Windows 7PC is more at risk of having malware than XP computers.
Microsoft said that in the last quarter of 2013, the Windows 7 computers it scanned were more likely to be infected by malware than PCs running Windows XP. An infection rate of 2.59% was found for Windows 7 PC compared to 2.42% for XP.
Windows Vista was also affected by malware. Microsoft has calculated the infection rate for each version of Windows is calculated by comparing an equal number of computers per version.
The company said that infection rates jumped drastically from Q3 to Q4 2013 mainly due to the Rotbrow family of malware which presented itself as a browser add-on.
Microsoft Security Intelligence Report said that Windows 7 can provide better security than Windows XP if configured in a proper manner.
The infection rates measured in computers cleaned per thousand (CCM -- yes M, the Latin for thousand) rose from 5.6 in Q3 to 17.8 in Q4 of last year on the back of the Win32/Senfit click fraud bot.
The CCM rates for Vista and Windows 7 were higher than XP for the quarter. The report shows an infection rate of 25.9 percent for Windows 7, 32.4 percent for Vista and 24.2 percent for XP.
On 5/10/2014 8:22 AM, Sherlock.Homes wrote:

I have Malware Bytes on every computer. So far, nothing has gotten by. www.malwarebytes.org

Daughter got something from Facebook that attacks only Windows 7 OS's. First thing it did was disable Malwarebytes and her AV. Then it pretended to be her AV and told her that she needed to pay to remove the virus.
I wound up paying our local computer store to remove it. They said it is a PITA to remove and there was nothing she could have done to prevent getting it. She didn't use Facbook for a very long time after that though!
On 05/10/2014 08:22 AM, Sherlock.Homes wrote:

Microsoft Security Intelligence Report (SIR)? ROFLMAO! I don't think there is any intelligence at Microsoft. In my opinion, Microsoft is malware.
https://fedoraproject.org/
On 05/10/2014 09:30 AM, Mycroft Holmes wrote:
[snip]

There IS intelligence there. It's just being misused.

Since "malware" is any software on your computer that is under someone else's control and is intended (or used) for purposes contrary to what the owner wants, M$ stuff is malware.
BTW, because of my experiences with BASIC on home computers, I tend to read "M$" as "M-string" ('$' was used to indicate string variables).
[snip]
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So - what exactly has it ever detected (that wasn't a false positive) ?
AV detection of new malware has been pathetic for the past 5 or 6 years. Just this past week I've submitted about 1/2 dozen malware files sent as email attachments to VirusTotal, and the detection rate has been anywhere from 0/52 to 5/52. Some of these are PDF files (real pdf, trying to leverage some adobe javascript vulnerability) or exe files claiming to be .scr (I know the difference is subtle).
I've run the infected files at Anubis and have downloaded the secondary payloads and submitted them to VT, and always get 0/52.
On Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:22:22 AM UTC-4, Sherlock.Homes wrote:

Ther'e a surprise. Those out to screw the world are focused on new OS's that are widely used and increasing, instead of the decade old and declining one. Makes sense just from volume. Then factor in that since XP is a decade old, hackers have had that much time to find and exploit and flaws, while with Win 7, there is probably much more to look for and that hasn't been found/fixed.
On Sat, 10 May 2014 09:38:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

+1
People would be best served by tending to their System Security Status. Belarc Advisor is free, will audit your system, provide hot links - pointing to ways to secure the system. People are just sloppy about it. <http://belarc.com/free_download.html
XP was the most dangerous OS release on the masses. Out of the box all ports were open.
Shields Up (port) testing can be done at:
<https://www.grc.com/intro.htm
(More than 94,405,250 shields tested!)
Oren wrote:

Hi, No routers in use? My first line of defense is router/firewall/AV software. I use Linux as much as I can. Actually my router is UTM class which gives little more security.
In wrote:

I love getting the report that my puter does not exist<Stealth> or the UPnP answer THE EQUIPMENT AT THE TARGET IP ADDRESS Did not respond to our UPNP probes Spybot Search and Destroy is good, too

Stealth will not acknowledge the system exist or is sending data back. Best thing you can do to protect yourself.
(hide the fat girl) :)
On 05/10/2014 07:30 PM, Oren wrote:

Hi Guys,
I do internal penetration testing for PCI (credit card compliance). Yes, with the customer's written permission!
You can not stealth a Windows computer. Sorry. No with any software firewall. I will find you. And I will charge you hours writing up reports about all your ports I find open and why.
Moral of the story: you can only protect Windows with an external *hardware* firewall.
This doesn't mean you shouldn't turn off all the Windows crap you can in an attempt to harden it.
1) turn off file and print sharing 2) remove IE (in add remove programs, Windows stuff) Flash Java Acrobat Reader (Foxit Reader works well) 3) run a decent Anti Virus (I like Kaspersky. Bit Defender does well too in tests.) 4) use Chrome, Firefox, and/or Thunderbird
And, I will still find you. But the bad guys will have a much harder time infecting you. (I won't find you behind an external hardware firewall that has been stealthed, but I will find you if I am on your internal network -- your permission and all.)
Or, use Fedora Linux, which is the most security hardened Linux. I can stealth a Fedora Linux Box. Windows is a security joke (all versions).
You can try Fedora Linux before you buy (it is free, open source) with their Live CD (not DVD): https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/#downloads
If you decide to stay with Windows, the Live CD is a great tool to have around.
TIP: !!!!!
Here is a tip for Windows users. Junkware is not checked for by your Anti Virus because it is legal. You can remove it with my favorite utility: JRT (Junkware Removal Tool). I have make dozens of excruciatingly slow Windows computers come back to life with it:
JRT http://thisisudax.org/
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

I gave it a spin. It found some junk registry entries and removed a bunch of babylon stuff

I love that utility!
Removes the "Ask Toolbar(s)" from hell too.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

I keep a pretty tight rein on junk. The babylon executive and startup was gone long ago but there was still some residual junk out there,
Friends don't let friends use Windows!
http://fedoraproject.org/
Buster Hymen wrote:

The truth about Fedora (and the increasingly uncountable versions of unix / linux out there these days) is that they are for geeks, not the average computer user.
There is no version of those OS's that are shrink-wrapped and one-button-installable by the average home or soho desktop or laptop user that is in any way a coherent and ergonomic replacement for windoze. And not just the OS, but all the personal and business apps that go along with it.
For better or worse, it's about time you fools realized that.
On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:51:52 AM UTC-5, HomeGuy wrote:

Easy...a geek is not a fool...he's not like someone from California that us es a Mac!
On 05/12/2014 06:51 AM, HomeGuy wrote:

Hi Guy,
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/#downloads
And, it is getting easier every day.
By the way, I am a business and I am a Fedora shop. There are lots of Business apps, just not from Microsoft.
Linux's only downfall is its lack of off the shelf apps. But, you can almost always find a work around, like I have.
But, you do have a point. Trying to get Windows users off of Windows is like trying to get an addict off of crack cocaine.
And when you life depends on it: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155392-international-space-station-switches-from-windows-to-linux-for-improved-reliability
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

I haven't run win-95 since about July 2000.
But yea - I use Netscape Navigator for usenet. Something that apparently mOron doesn't realize is that Usenet is about 15 years older than the usenet client I use.

What a maroon you are - a proven fool.
Go look up how old usenet is, and then tell us why a "modern" usenet client is any better than an old one.

We can't wait.