"Malleable" pipe couplings

I'm installing some black gas pipe(1" size) and find two types of couplings being sold, one of which is called "malleable". I know what the word means, but wonder under what circumstances this type of coupling is preferred or should be used.

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Reply to
Smarty

I'm not really knowledgeable about malleable pipe couplings, however, I had a Husqvarna off-road motorcycle that had malleable clutch and break levers, shift pedal, etc. I never had to replace any of them, and I bent some of them nearly double. They would bend back, never cracked or weakened in any way. I rode and raced it for well over 5 years and crashed it a lot. What a refreshing change from the Japanese bikes that would break control levers just falling off the kick stand. My point is malleable would be a good thing if there is any stress, and I've broken a few non-malleable iron pipe fittings and I haven't done all that much plumbing.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I think it really does boil down to the same concept, that a malleable coupling can take more stress. I just find it surprising that they sell both types, and that some people have a reason to prefer the non-malleable type.

Thanks again for the replies.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

My experience comes from years ago disassembling some various plumbing parts. Cast fittings could be removed by holding a sledge hammer to one side and hitting the other side with another sledge. It didn't take much to crack the fitting open and off the pipe. Malleable fittings were another story, no matter how many times nor how hard you hit them they would not crack. If you hit them too hard they would actually bend or deform. The only way was to unscrew them, and do it before you bent it. Malleable usually means they were shaped by forging increasing their strength, while cast items were just poured into a mould with no strength.

Reply to
EXT

EXT wrote: Malleable usually means they

....err, no, not exactly. Malleable Cast Iron is what the "malleable" refers to. Different microstructure and properties than Grey Cast Iron which is the kind you can break with a hammer.

Both start life as molten stuff poured into moulds.

Reply to
cavedweller