Malibu low voltage lights - glass needs cleaning

Hi, I have a number of Malibu metal low voltage lights in my yard. I have noticed that the glass surface has a layer of film on it that looks like hard water scales. The light output is dimmer because of this film on the glass.
Does anyone know of a good way to clean off this film? It is pretty crusty and it does not come off even when I scratch it with my nails.
Does anyone also which brand of lights give out the greatest light output, for the same bulb rating?
Thanks

CLR or Vinegar will cut the lime scale if that is what it really is.