Makita palm sander (BO4552) not gripping sandpaper

I have an old Makita palm sander that I hadn't used in a long time.
When I tried to use it, the sandpaper kept coming loose from the "clamper" almost immediately after turning it on -- clearly, this makes the sander useless.
Before I take it all apart or throw it out, any easy fixes for it?
blueman wrote:

Mine works fine. But maybe you can add a piece of cardboard to make the sandpaper "thicker".
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:47:39 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,

I'll bet blueman didn't take out all the slack from tthe paper before starting it. Either that or he didn't clean the backing so it provided a tacky rubber backing, preventing the paper from sliding around. I blow off tools with air (takes dust out of pores, etc.) and will swipe sander pads with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner (whatever's out/closest) before using them. Both dry very quickly.
======================================================== What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com ...makes you hurt more. + Web application programming ========================================================
Clamp two or three pieces of sandpaper in it. Makes for faster paper changes. Tom blueman wrote:

Super idea!! Thanks.
tom wrote:

blueman,
Wrap some tape around the "clamper" where it holds the sand paper. I've this problem and found electrical tape works well.
Dave M.