Makita or HF or Primecell

My Makita cordless drill is getting tired. Or, more likely, the batteries are wearing out. My options include:
1) put up with it 2) Use only corded drills from now on 3) Buy more batteries either at the store, or off the web, or Ebay 4) Buy a cheap drill from HF and hope that's good. I've got a couple 12 volt "Drill Master" which have served well, for a long time. I use them for turning screws, light duty. Charge for an hour when the drill won't work any more. The charger is unregulated. 5) Buy a different brand altogether 6) Get a couple tired 14.4 cells rebuilt at Primecell
Has anyone had good experience with any of the HF drills? Or with Primecell? I've heard others reccomend Primecell.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

With a Makita cell it will be top quality Panasonic or Sanyo cells, probably better than what prime cell uses, but check. HF wont be top quality anything like the Makita is. If it suddenly died check the charger for voltage,what is the battery voltage when you check with a v meter
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/22/2010 9:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The old Makitas were good drills, new batteries might be a good plan.

I'm liking Ryobi for cheap tools. I like the way they are designed and the attention to details and features.
Their standard 18V drill has a half inch chuck. How cool is that? It's a bad boy.
I bought the kit, drill, circular saw, sawzall and flashlight with 2 batteries from HD for $129, a deal they have run on and off for years. What got me into Ryobi was the cordless fan. It runs a long long time and kicks out enough air to make being outdoors pleasant.
If you can afford the LiIon batteries, the Ryobi 18V tools can use either them or the NiCads. LiIon is the future.
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:11:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I have 2 Makitas and I got a couple of new batteries from a place on the web. They are higher Amp Hour no name cells.I am very happy with the result.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 23, 1:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

primecell is the way to go, the batteries are better than new and often you can upgrade to even better ones for a little more money, their self discharge rate is real low, my best friend sent one in for rebuild and noted 5 months later it was still usable in comparison to his old battery where a month saw it stone dead.
he got this specifics tool pack rebuilt since he didnt use it much so he felt he had nothing to lose.
now he is sending in all his packs to primecell since the first one worked so well
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 22, 8:11 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Happens eventually to most batteries

Can't comment on Primecell, but local Interstate Battery franchise rebuilds NiCds very well. We have a heavily used Milwaukee 18V drill with 2 out of three NiCDs rebuilt several years ago still working. Upgraded the battery stock with one new Li ion and the new charger a few months ago. The new charger seems to do better with NiCds than the old one. Drill is somewhat better with the Li ion, and lasts longer between charges. Actual $$ saving over buying a whole new kit wasn't that much, but at least its one less thing for the landfill.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

The only difference is an ounce of plastic in the landfill. The cells themselves are still waste. NiCds should be recycled back the the manufacturer, in any event.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:11:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I've had a couple of 14.4V packs rebuilt by Primecell a couple of years ago and they still work, last and recharge as good as ever. The next time I need a battery replacement, I will first consider a rebuild from PrimeCell. Plus, their cost is less than a cheap no-name replacement. Your call, though.
Add pictures here
✖