Makita LXT Li-Ion

I bought the new Makita 18V LXT Li-Ion set for myself this Xmas. I've never owned a Makita tool before and haven't used this set enough to comment about the durability or quality, but I have a couple comments on the design.
* Both the impact driver and hammer drill have LED lights, supposedly to illuminate your work. But all they really do is cast a shadow, because of where they're located. I'd rather use a real light to see what I'm doing. If the LED had a switch I'd keep it off permanently.
* The flashlight has 3 or 4 detent stops. These are going to wear out and then it's just going to flop around and be useless. I'd expect this kind of design on something from Kmart. The Ryobi light I had has a rotating head to cover all angles. I shouldn't have given mine to my brother.
* The bit storage on the hammer drill is cheap. It's going to wear out and be useless. The metal clips on my Dewalt have lasted a long time.
* The clutch on the hammer drill doesn't have the range I like. The lowest setting on my Dewalt is low enough to fasten wallplates without cracking them, not so on this Makita.
I like how quiet the circular saw is, though.
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Longevity, battery life and durability will have to wait, but it seems to me you should be able to comment on the quality of construction, battery charging time, power and weight. So spill!

I'll have to look at that. Seems pretty stupid to put a light where the tool itself casts a shadow where you're working.

I don't see why the detents would necessarily wear out. Maybe so, but it's a bit of an assumption at that point.

Bit storage on all cordless tools is silly. There are so many different bits that you need, that it's an illusionary benefit.

I use a ratchet screwdriver. If I don't need the power and weight, I don't carry it.
This brings up the mental image of someone swatting flies with a baseball bat.

CW wrote:

You must have excellent eye/hand coordination - I keep missing the little buggers. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

Quality is good. The more I use the tools the more I'll be able to judge the quality.
Haven't charged the batteries yet. The partial charge they had when I bought them was enough to do a little work so far.
Power is good. I really like having an impact driver.
Weight is indeed as they say, "18V power with 12V weight."

True, but it's nice to have that double ended phillips/slotted bit there when you need it.

That's why I like the impact driver. Less than 3.5 pounds!
Mike
So return it already. It would be kinda silly to keep it if you hate it so much already.

My first makitas light detents work great after 21 years, so does the drill, and its on its second chuck. The only issue is battery contacts dont always work, but with all the dirt in it im not to suprised, so I bought a second makita to be happier, I wish I had the leds, oh well cant have it all. Dewalt, I returned one for a Makita.