makita cordless tool battery chargers

Makita refers to their battery chargers as:
Makita blah-blah "Quick Charger"
having switched to 12v tools w/ NiMh 2.6Ahr batteries I find nothing quick about their preformance. It seems to take FOREVER to get a 12v battery fully charged.
If I'm using more than one tool (by myself or with a helper) it's pretty easy to get ahead of a pair of chargers.
I've been considering the
DC1439 fast charger
but I've found conflicting info on the web about charging times
ads say "as fast as 10 minutes"
but don't give times as a function of battery voltage and capacity
or
Average charge time is 15 minutes per battery
anyone have any experience with this unit charging 12v NiMh? Is it worth the money? ~$100
alternatively
     makita multi battery charger 7.2 to 24v DC24SA ??
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

Hey Bob. I don't have any experience with the Makita charger, but it seems pretty similar to my DeWalt charger which also charges in 15 minutes or less. The nicest thing about my older unit is that it also charges a host of competing brands' batteries. One of the best investments I've made. Most of the time if charges a 12v in less than eight minutes. I've never found a situation where it couldn't outpace me. If the Makita is as good as its claim, then it's a no-brainer.
BTW, an auction for a brand new Mak charger just ended on eBay - $59 and no bids!

AFAIK,Makita spec's their charge time as ONE HOUR.(maybe that's NiCds) Now,Panasonic has a drill/battery system that has a 15 minute charge time,but their's is engineered for that short a time.
NiMH are more tricky to charge than NiCds. (if you want them to have a full life)
Just wait until they all change to Lithium cells! (some are already on the market)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I've had my eyes on those. The weight savings are considerable. Kind of pricey for now, and only two manufacturers are making them that I'm aware of - Makita and Milwaukee - but that's sure to change.

OR you could have fewer and larger cells in the packs that fit your present cordless tools,along with the longer run time and no self-discharge. Just buy new packs and the necessary charger.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik