Making your phone ring

Page 1 of 4
I can remember when I was a kid that you could dial a 4 digit phone number and hang up and your phone would ring.
I am having trouble with an AT&T cordless phone. My standard phone works fine, but the cordless won't ring.
I would like to be able to make my phone ring to test it by plugging it into another phone outlet.
Add pictures here
āœ–

Just post the number, we'll call you

Add pictures here
āœ–
Terry wrote:

use your cell phone to call your home phone. Or have a neighbor call you. Or ask the operator to call you.
Add pictures here
āœ–

BR-549!
(Honest as the Day is Long Junior Samples)

http://youtube.com/watch?v
žDX6ESys10&mode=related&search
Add pictures here
āœ–

Just post a "free car" ad on craigslist with your # in it.
Add pictures here
āœ–
Terry, that number was unique to local exchanges. The same number did not work universally and differed from place to place. You might stop at a local phone truck, but I'm not sure they will share the number with you.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Terry wrote:

Are you the last person on earth without a cell phone you could call your home phone from? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Add pictures here
āœ–
Well, with me make that 3, anyway.

Add pictures here
āœ–

I lost mine about three months ago, and I don't miss it one bit.
Steve
Add pictures here
āœ–
SteveB wrote:

That was yours? It sure came in handy on that long trip I just came back from! Thanks!
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
āœ–

I'm #4
I hate em. 5x the cost of a landline and 1/10 the quality and reliability.
I still have one from when I tried it in 2000. I keep it in the car even though I have no service. It still works. I can dial 911 if needed.
Add pictures here
āœ–

There are plenty of people without cell phones. They will tend to be older. They will tend to be male. In my case I don't own a car. I'm either next to my office phone, or my home phone, or on public transportation (or my bicycle) where I don't want to make or take a call. And for the rare occasion of coordinating a meeting with someone, it is a rather high expense.
āœ–

A voice of reason! I resisted getting a pager for many of these reasons: I'm near a computer most hours of the day, so why pay $30+ a month just to be bothered at others' whim? The only time I really like the pager is when I'm traveling, and that's not very often (but I will be traveling quite a bit later in the year...).
Add pictures here
āœ–

When I'm traveling I cut myself completely off. No telephone calls. No e-mail. The only electronics I carry is my camera.
I do leave an itinerary behind. So if something important happens, e.g. a death in the family, I can be reached.
This is, of course, personal travel. You may be referring to business travel.
āœ–

I agree. A vacation is to get away.
BTW if someone did die and they couldn't tell you right away what would happen? They wouldn't still be dead when you got home?
Add pictures here
āœ–
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:54:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, on my Ireland trip I did not leave a detailed itinerary behind. I spent two weeks driving from B&B to B&B, with the next selected each afternoon. I had no contact with home. My parents (at the time 84 and 86) later said they did not realize I had not left a detailed itinerary (just the flights and the first night). Would they have waited? Or held the funeral without me? I guess I'll never know.
āœ–
Yes, i would never ruin someone's vacation with a death in the family. I'd just put them on ice until they got home.

āœ–
That's close to what my Dad said to the neighbors, one time as we left for two week vacation. Here's the key. If it's on fire, call the FD and have them deal with it. Let us know when we get home.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
āœ–
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:54:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's strange the way people treat death as an emergency, like they're not going to stay dead very long.
For the most part, I'd rather not have a phone with me when I'm driving. It could still be useful in emergencies (real ones).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com