Making Ridge Cap shingles?

I'm getting a new roof installed and the material was just delivered. I noticed there are no ridge cap shingles in the order. Is it possible that the roofer is going to just lay cut shingles at the ridges? These are dimensional shingles so I don't think that will look right. Has anyone heard of not using ridge caps and should I demand specific ridge cap shingles?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DJA

Standard practice is to use three tab shingles cut a part for ridge cap. Are you sure there are not a pack of three tab in the bunch? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I double checked...They are neatly stacked so it's easy to see...There are no 3-tab's included either.

Dave

Reply to
DJA

shingles?

Dimensional shingles have their own accessory for hip/ridge. Many times roofers will use a 3 tab for the cap, it's a cost/corner cutting feature at your expense. Ugh. Demand the correct cap/accessory, they feature the same shadow line as your dimensional.

Reply to
Kook

You get a slightly better look if you use ridge cap shingles but I don't spend a lot of time looking at my roof so I chose to save the extra money and have the roofer use the regular shingles bent over. It is really hard to tell. They work just fine. If you want them for the look then I would have your roofer get them and pay the extra money. Otherwise save a few bucks and go without. Not any difference in weatherability.

Reply to
cc0112453

How can they do that with a dimensional shingle? I can see how they can cut a 3-tab into 3 equal sections, but a dimensional shingle has no "sections".

Dave

Reply to
DJA

"sections".

They would cut 3-12" pieces out of a 36" shingle, providing the shingle is English and not a metric. This is a ridiculous way to save money. If they're planning on cutting corners where it is noticeable, just think where they're cutting where it's not noticeable.

Reply to
Kook

that works!

caps on a roof ....................noticeable? you really are a "kook"

_\ \ \ | / / / _ ( ' 0 - - 0 ' )

-----ooO----(__)----Ooo----- 3GCPO

Reply to
3GCPO

Ya, I'm funny about seeing a hip roof done in dimensional, and caps that don't match. Being a roof is 50% or more of the curb appeal of a home, I do get a chuckle seeing where tight wads live.

More than that, those bumpy dimensional being used as an accessory, kinda got that Billy Bob thing going for it. But if Jimbo does the roof, what can you expect.

Reply to
Kook

notify the roofer and TELL him that you want Ridge Caps... be persistent and he will use the correct thing.. call up some roofing supply companies and see what they charge for the ridge caps, are they more expensive or is is that the roofer will just pass on it and use whateverisw handy for him and the way he is used to doing things.. tell him that you hope he does the job correctly as you dont want to have any problems when it comes time to pay him... that will make him think about it and do it right.....

Reply to
jim

I would expect continuous ridge vent, which also serves as the ridge cap.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell