Making Railroad ties more attractive

Have some 15 plus yr. old RR ties leading to a lake. The creosote still shows through on some, and others are lighter shades. Is there something I can use, a stain, etc. to make them more uniform? Thanks.

Reply to
Gene Casey

You might warm up a bucket of liquid tar and paint the wall with it. Be careful how you warm the bucket and make sure to remove or loosen the lid.

creosote

uniform?

Reply to
DanG

Exterior oil stain the same color should work, tar will be a mess and stink for a long time there are probably products just for this.

Reply to
m Ransley

What do you suppose the ties were treated with the first time?

mess and

Reply to
DanG

I beleive creosote was used , but by using creosote now they would stink when its warm out, worse than tar but a similar smell.

Reply to
m Ransley

You might even bring out the Hug-A-Tree police. Creosote or tar will create a real mess that you probably don't need.

RB

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
RB

Reply to
Gene Casey

Wolman Creocote may serve your needs here.

(To me, part of the attraction of wood is that it becomes *less* uniform with age, but each to his own!)

Reply to
Dan Hartung

We have a grape stake fence that gets creosoted (creocoted?) about every ten years. Except for a few months after the re-coating, it's really not very uniform at all.

We're on the original wood, installed in 1972, and it still looks like new. It only gets watered on one side, very lightly, and it's on the north side of our house, so it's not in the worst environment in the world. No rain or snow to speak of, either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer