Making patio from concrete pavers

When laying concrete pavers on a sand bed, what type of concrete mix should I use between the joints. I have a bag of fast setting "Quickcrete" on hand. Would that work okay?

Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

Reply to
Rob Mills

My advice is DON'T use any concrete in the joints.

Use sand. When you lay the pavers on sand and use sand to fill the joints they will form a very solid surface. Later if there is some shifting or movement, you can pick up the few that need adjustment and make the adjustment. The result is a good as new surface.

This method usually means you will do some maintenance maybe six months after you put it in to tidy things up and again maybe a year after that. No big deal. After that it is good to go for years.

I once lived in an area that had brick walks and streets. They were put in 20-80 years before I moved there. They were all in good condition. I lived there for about 25 years and they all held up great. I added new walks and a drive and now 40 years later they are still in use and look good.

Do it right, good foundation and don't use concrete.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There is also a hi-tech sand product that can be used...something like "polymorphic...something or other". It acquires a sticky quality when moistened the first time. The guys at the paver store know about it. It's a little pricey ($35 / bag) but I used it on a paver sidewalk last year and it seems to hold up better than the sand.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

You're referring to polymeric sand.

Most patios are fine with mason's sand brushed into the joints.

Will Niccolls

Reply to
Will Niccolls

Thanks to all who responded. We (actually the wife did it) filled the joints with sand this afternoon. I looked for the hi-tech sand this morning but came up empty handed. The folks at Home Depot tried to talk us into using cement but we opted to go with the sand as it sounded less messy and we like the idea that we can re-adjust things down the road.

Thanks again, Rob Mills

Reply to
Rob Mills

I knew it was "poly" something. Thanks.