Making or buying a raised platform

We have several bushes that need to have their tops trimmed. They are too tall for me to trim with a regular hedge trimmer. Today I tried using a pole trimmer. I could not reach the center of the bush and it jammed on a large branch. I turned it off as soon as I could. I cleared out the jam but now all it does is make a loud humming sound. The blades do not move. The pole trimmer seems quite a bit flimsier than my regular trimmer and the blade is shorter.
I think it might be better for me to buy or make some sort of movable platform about three feet tall that I can stand on and use my regular trimmer. It would have to be sturdy and stable even when on grass or slightly uneven ground. I weigh almost 190 pounds fully dressed.
Does anyone know where I could buy such a platform? Does anyone have plans I could use to make one? -- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
Make 2 stacks of 3- Milk carton/ cubes and put a plank on the top otherwise, the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

If HFT is Harbor Freight Tools, the only thing I found when I searched for "scaffold" was a Roof Bracket. -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

BroInLaw said his came from HFT and was under $ 100 How about this one made by Werner Ladder at HD for $ 118
http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/ps.php Model Number PS-48

I happened to go to my local Harbor Freight store and they did have a scaffold. (I wonder why they do not list it on their web site. Even if it is too big to ship, they could say: "In stores only. Call your local store to find out if they have one.")
It seemed to be sturdy enough. It folded up so that it would not take up a lot of room when stored. It had three or four standing levels.
There was one problem. It was on swivel castors. It had brakes that kept the wheels from spinning. But, it had no way to prevent the castors from rotating. With the wheels locked, the whole unit would move around the wheels in a circle about three inches in diameter.
Have you used one? Have you or your brother-in-law had problems because of the movement? -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

I have one like that. Once all four casters are locked, it's hard to move. I usually just lock the front two castors, then tilt it toward the back to move it down the wall. I've had zero problems with it moving.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Yes, we were using it outside on a slab..locked the wheels and climbed up..no recollection of any drifting.. make sure the wheels are "pointed" in the same direction..once locked, they shouldn't travel

It is on the HF website...but it wasn't easy to find...
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=98979&CategoryName=OUTDOOR%20EQUIPMENT&SubCategoryName=Misc.%20Outdoor

That is NOT the one I saw at the store. The one at the store had a back frame, two STEEL planks and I think it did not have the angled braces near the bottom. -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Now when I search for "Scaffold" I find two Scaffolds. The one below is the one I saw at the store.

I wonder why neither of them showed up before. -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

re: I wonder why neither of them showed up before.
Because the search feature at the Harbor Fright (sic) site sucks.
I didn't find the item I posted via their search engine, I found it via Google and then backed into their site.
In fact, the URL appears to indicate that item 98979 should be found in Misc Outdoor Equipment, but if you try to find it by browsing that category, it's not there - at least it wasn't the last time I looked.

how about a ladder?

I often need two hands to use the hedge trimmer and I do not feel safe on a ladder if I can not hold onto the ladder with one hand. -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!
On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:32:33 -0700, Daniel Prince

You can rent a small, portable scaffold* or buy. I just sold 3 ladders in a garage sell, and still have 3. The little giant ladder is my go to ladder. The first ladder I've owned that I felt safe on, hands free.
*
https://www.sprayfoamgear.com/images/Scaffold%20Intro%20small.jpg
Daniel Prince wrote: (snip)

A small orchard ladder (aka tripod ladder) would be ideal for this.

re: I weigh almost 190 pounds fully dressed.
Reduce the weight load by trimming your bushes in the nude.
Much better to tie helium baloons to your ears. Helps hold some of the weight.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have two 5' step ladders. I also have a very, very old 2 x 12 x 6' plank.
When I need scaffolding for a project, I open the 2 step ladders and lay the plank between them, resting on whichever step is the correct height for my project. I've often done this when I cut in along the ceiling when painting a room. I can do 6 - 8 feet without having to get up and down a ladder,
In the "Don't try this at home" category, I've done this several times:
I've rested one end of the plank on the step ladder and the other end on a 2" window sill and then "walked the plank" over some bushes to hang Christmas lights or repair a window.
On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:39:27 -0700, Daniel Prince

    A real contractor supply will have what you need. Look in the painting and drywall departments.