Making double glazed windows. This possible !!!

I was thinking of putting some Plexiglass pains into my existing windows, they have the room for them, just measured and I can easily fit a 4mm pain of flexiglass on the outside.

I know If i add a pain it will block more noise, but to make it work better you would have to take the air out of the gap, just wondering if this would be possible and make it keep the vacum ??

Maybe it wont be needed after I fit the extra pains and the noise reduction would be enough, but allways looking for a project :)

Any ideas on makeing this work would be nice :)

Thanks.

Also any thought son the 4mm plexiglass and how much noise youthink it would block and if it would block high freqenecy or low frequencys better.

Thanks.

Reply to
No noise Please.

Well not so fast there partner. :-)

The Plexiglas would bend if you tried to pull a vacuum. The glass would break. In the double glazed windows the space between the panes is filled with a dry gas. For some it is just dry air others use special mixes, chosen to reduce heat transfer.

I suggest you take a look at:

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.

As I recall the best sound control is to block the sound before it reaches the window. If not then really thick glass or Plexiglas, such as the hurricane proof stuff used in hurricane prone areas. Also heavy drapes may help. Of course make sure it is really coming in via the glass. Often it is not the prime source.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The walls are brick it's the windows that are the problems and the Balcony door, very flilmsy.

Going to put some heavey curtians up to see if that helps any.

Thanks.

Reply to
No noise Please

IIRC, in sound studios and such, they put in two layers of glass but don't put them parallel. By putting them in at an angle to each other, it reduces the sound transmission.

Reply to
Pat

I have no idea how much noise it would block but even if it delivered total silence I wouldn't do it because it scratches very easily. Even just washing it will get it scratched up. If you just gotta add another pane, use glass.

Reply to
dadiOH

What is causing all the noise?

Reply to
jthread

Birds, cars, trains people, cicardas, I just want some quiet :(

Thanks.

Reply to
No Noise PLEASE

I relate, but I can't say the birds or insects bother me yet. Cars and my neighbor's stereo can get on my nerves. I'm going to change out all my windows.

Good luck,

Jim

Reply to
jthread