Making Cardboard Waterproof?

Hello,
I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it, so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it? Here are some ideas:
1) What If I painted it with an oil based paint? 2) How about using epoxy glue and covering the entire inside? 3) What about coating the inside with Portland Cement? 4) I could coat the inside with tin foil, then use epoxy on the joints?
Is there a much better idea than these?
Thanks
samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

It's not possible to waterproof cardboard. I would buy some thin sheetmetal (flashing?) and use your cardboard design as a pattern to cut the metal.
nate

buy PVC tank, think used 55 gallon drums.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

supposed to be. My gut impression isn't that it was a water tank, but rather some sort of sculpture or yard art that he prototyped, and now wants to avoid recreating in the proper materials.
As another poster said, painting it with fiberglass resin is the only thing that will give more than a few days of waterproofing, but that stuff is nasty and expensive. Finding a good tinsmith to recreate it in copper or something would be the traditional solution.
-- aem sends...

Checkout OP's other posts....is this guy for real or troll?
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

features, of the Arty sort. Back at college, they had a whole field of art student projects like this. Most were hideous, some were interesting, but 90% of them showed utter cluelessness about basic metalworking and fabrication techniques. At the time, I remember thinking they should run these kids through a semester of vo-ed school metal shop before they started with the sculpture classes, just so they could learn the materials and metals. I've known several artists over the years who worked in metal. All of them could have paid the rent working in a machine shop if they had to.
-- aem sends....

not really.System Three sells a trial kit for $10PPD,and RAKA sells a 1.5 Qt. kit for $25,last time I checked.

and after glassing it,it will need some sort of UV protection,like paint.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Tell that to the guys at Hiroshima Danboru.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

They make waterproof cardboard, they don't make cardboard waterproof.
(hint--it's a lot easier when you do it while you're making the cardboard than it is to add it on afterwards)
--John

Afterwards it is either curtain coated or wax dipped, but neither is easily done by a homeowner. Seafood containers use was dipped.
wrote in message

boatbuilding epoxy will soak into cardboard surfaces well,but getting the edges or corrugations sealed is another matter. I guess that would be "water-resistant"....
try System Three,West System,or RAKA epoxies. I use RAKA.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

make a product which is identical except all out of plastic, trade name Coroplast .... used for signs, etc.

And if he waits until after the election there are tons of political signs made from that or similar stuff.
Harry K

Fiberglass it.
On Sep 7, 6:58am, samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Are you using coragated cardboard? How long does it need to last? Why does it have to be cardboard or could you use different materials?
A couple of coats of a spar varnish would provide a waterproof layer. At one time it was used to make racing shells (rowing boats) that would last for a race or two and would be very light (fast).
replying to samadams_2006, Nicole wrote:

Try this... Acrylic Elastomeric Roof Coating
You can get it in clear.
Nicole wrote:

Posted from homeowners hub posted on September 7, 2008, 6:58 am
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 10/19/2013 12:45 PM, Nicole wrote:

I'd transfer it to plastic sheet and use that instead.
My two thoughts are that stuff that cheap shower liners are made of (and is sometimes used to line commercial kitchens etc.) or else that corrugated stuff that is used for political advertisement signs. Corro-something, I think.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

OR
HC Concrete Sealer Clear Gloss Oil-Based Put on two Coat A late Coat first
< http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/hc_concrete_sealer_clear_gloss_oilbased/