make up air

I've got to have an HVAC guy add make-up combustion air to my fha furnace. This is a requirement from the local building inspector.
I had a guy come buy and recommened a 'fan in a can'. Couple of questions...what are these -and- how much do they cost to install?
I can't seem to find something titled 'fan in a can' with google. thanks.

Taint cheap.....
http://www.hhydro.com/cgi-bin/hhydro/FAN.html
I am a little surprised that they want a power vent. I can understand why they may want makeup air.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
You have a few words wrong.
Make up air is a term used with large exhaust hoods like those found in restaurants. They have one blower bringing in the amount of air that the exhaust hood is removing.
Your HVAC requires two things: both combustion air and fresh air.
Code requires a percentage of fresh air in the return/supply system of the furnace to provide a healthy mix for humans. Continually recycling the same air with no fresh will lead to high CO2 numbers. Not a huge deal at home compared to a school or other high usage setting, but now very much required by code.
Combustion air provides the air that the flame needs to burn efficiently. This must be supplied by open access to outdoor air, not robbing air from the room. A furnace on an outside wall is usually satisfied with an open louver system with one high and one low. There are other arrangements when the furnace is not at an outside wall that involve ducting. I am not familiar with a fan driven combustion air situation, though they may well exist.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Sure they do. A high efficiency gas furnace is one example of a burner using a fan to provide combustion air.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
DanG wrote: ...

Never heard "forced draft"?
All 80+% high-efficiency systems I'm aware of are...
Natural draft went the way of the 50-60% variety.