Make this group Moderated?

Page 4 of 4

hy

That is done quite often and usually accomplishes the goal.
The issue arises when there is a legitimate post contain something like "I am having a problem getting XYZ Application to do this or that".
Then a response shows up that says something like "I have found this software to be of great help with that type of problem" followed by a link to a commercial web site selling "Mr. FixIt for XYZ Application". When you check the posters info, you find that they just joined the forum an hour ago, right after the original post showed up.
You know that they have a bot scanning the forum, waiting for someone to mention XYZ Application. At that point they create a new member ID and post a link to theit website trying to get a sale. Those "members" get no warning. I alert the site admin and they delete both the response and the member ID immediately.
Of course, it's a never ending battle because they just create a new ID and post again the next time that subject comes up.

I "neverminded" this earlier. I forgot about the distributed nature of usenet.

Which, of course, has little to do with the fact that you still need counseling (grin)
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:20:05 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

You can have multiple moderators. If it's a moderated group you want, go to a moderated group. It really is that simple.

NEVER!!
A forum/newsgroup with a moderator is a forum/newsgroup with a dictator and freedom of speech is the victim.
I recently joined a forum and was quite happy, initially. Then it began. The first incident was when some female moderator misconstrued my post as a personal attack on all women and I was chastised publicy for being a mysoginist. The slight was totally imagined, but she lashed out publicly with her fantasy and I was quite embarrassed.
Next, I discovered not everyone is altruistic and honest (I'm such a romantic). When I pointed this out and offered some advice on how to guard against this possibility, I was censured. My post was deleted with nary an explanation, despite my overall tone being one of aid and help.
It happened once again, when the forum rewrote the rules and one rule was so ambiguous and confusing, most everyone complained. Later, it was discovered all post that were not essentially in agreement with the general drone stroke-fest were deleted, mine included. Apparently constructive criticism is not wanted in that particular forum.
NOPE! NO MODERATORS!!
I don't give a flying flop if yer a long winded moronic dolt who is merely trolling for turkeys, I know how to KF you. At least I can reply in kind if I'm feeling particularly peevish, and without fear of censure or repercussions. Likewise, you are free to ignore or KF me. Simple, eh?
nb
MiniM wrote:

You can't. You have to start a new group.

Yea, what he said
On 4/11/2013 3:11 PM, MiniM wrote:

Well if that happened some of the posts would be less revealing of the inner thoughts of males. Men can be some purrty interesting creatures. I even like studying some of their personalities here. Even the flame wars often have *something* to take away (not in that regard, & I don't really like them, but...).
On 4/12/2013 7:11 PM, Nelly W wrote:

All men are pigs and will pounce on any women on Usenet. Hey baby, what are you wearing? ^_^
TDD

See what I mean? I just adore some of the men here.
On 4/13/2013 12:39 AM, Nelly W wrote:

I have a very jealous gal in my lap right now named Sandy. She adopted me after my roommate died and left her all alone. She's only six but will let anyone who knocks on the door know they will be eaten if only I would chop them up into little bits small enough for her tiny mouth. Sandy is a Rotthuahua, actually a Red Chihuahua who thinks she's a Rottweiler. When the intruder comes in and sits down, Sandy jumps in their lap and demands attention. When my other roommate's psychotic Beagle comes to me for attention, Sandy will get in the face of the three times bigger gal and tell her "Back off bitch, he's mine!" Females are funny creatures. ^_^
TDD
TDD and I have not yet met in person, but I'm sure we'd be friends. Some day, I should visit Alabamastan. After TDD gets off work, we can go for a happy meal with Children McNuggets some time. I'll bring the ibuprophen for us old guys. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

See what I mean? I just adore some of the men here.
On 4/13/2013 9:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing.
Actually, since you misquoted me. I must admit that I have great respect and admiration for some of the fine and well skilled people who post here. I get big smiles from the common sense answers people provide. And, some of the comics here give me the giggles.
Now, I need a Mormon Swedish Masseusse named Helga with blonde hair, blue eyes, and wants to have six sons with me, after we get married. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 4/13/2013 9:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Nonsense. Some groups are patently female dominated. Rec.food.cooking is a huge newsgroup and populated fairly equally by both men and women, but woe to the lad who thinks he can talk down to women with impunity in that group.
nb
On 4/13/2013 9:00 AM, notbob wrote:

Be wary of women, they run in packs. ^_^
TDD
Does she have any small children with crunchy toes? Preferably clumsy toddlers who walk into chalk boards, and sit on window sills? Who love to have TDD pick them up and threaten to eat them? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

What would life be like, without farting? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .