replying to MiniM , passerby wrote:

I'm using it right now @ http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/ at some point lost the killfile and making and then supporting a new one was too much of a trouble. this works

You should hang out at alt.hvac They are a much friendlier group and will answer all your home repair questions.
On 4/11/2013 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote:

Go to any home improvement supply house, hardware store, industrial supply house or anywhere a bunch of reprobates hang out and talk about anything and everything and that's what you'll find here. Many of us, out of consideration, will put "OT" Off Topic in the title of any post that has nothing to with home repair, construction or improvement. This is for the more sensitive among us who may be upset if something about politics, religion or naked women is posted. It makes it easy for anyone to filter out Off Topic posts. You may also filter out certain individual posters if you hate and despise them for the content of what they may write. It's very easy to moderate what you see by setting up your newsreader to filter out anything you don't like. ^_^
TDD

+1 shootin the shit, drinkin beer, talkin shit good thing we don't have nekkid wimmen, too<eg>
On 4/11/13 2:11 PM, MiniM wrote:

We live in a world of almost instantaneous communications. Why should an inquiry wait until a moderator deigns to post it and wait still longer while the moderator decides if responses are on topic? The U.S. put men on the moon with less computing capacity than a teenager carries in his pocket.

as moderated?  Has anyone ever

Moderation does not have to work in that manner. I am not advocating moderation of any usenet group...simply pointing out the error of the assumption you seem to have made.
Moderation can be an "after-the-fact" process.
I am one of several moderators of an on-line help forum for a specific software application. All posts appear in the forum as soon as they are posted. It is my responsibility to log in every now and then and review the posts. I then have a number of options, including:
1 - Edit individual posts, including filling in a field that explains why it was edited, e.g. deleting plain text email addresses or spam links 2 - Delete individual posts 3 - Delete entire threads 4 - Escalate the issue to the site administrators and let them decide what action to take, including deleting the member's account.
My point here is simply to show that moderation does not have to mean a delay in posts appearing in the group. The moderation involves the decision as to whether or not the posts (or thread) *stays* in the group.
If I go on vacation or if my PC is down or if I just don't give a crap on a given day everything that is sent to the forum shows up in the forum. Since all moderators can moderate any forum on the site, I will often let them (or the site administrator) know that I won't be available for a few days. If they choose to keep an eye on "my" forum, that's fine. If not, I can look it over when I get back.
In article

Are you aware of any Usenet groups that work on that model? I don't believe that the distributed nature of Usenet allows for that to work. Once something is posted, even the originator is not guaranteed to be able to cancel it.

In a web forum, yes. Usenet does not work that way.

Over in talk.origins (moderated) it seems to work that way. The moderator warns people, then bans them.
I believe he does this with an automatic filter followed up with manual action. So he doesn't have to read every post, his scripts do.
--
Dan Espen

Same with rec.guns, which is why so many ppl post gun talk to other groups. Freedom and guns. Almost can't have one without the other.
nb

I believe that would work well here.
MiniM wrote:

Who picks the moderator?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Who picks the moderator?
--

dadiOH

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:00:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

There is no law that says there can only be one moderator.

We could elect one. The specific procedure could be determined if we decide to go "mod".

If you want a moderated group, go to alt.news config and start one. Once a charter for an unmoderated group has been established, it cannot be changed to moderated

That's not at all what DerbyDad meant by "after the fact" process.

t w

Good point...once it post gets propagated, it would be kind of hard to pull it back.
Nevermind!

Please see my response to D. Hoffman on how moderation can occur without any impact by making it an "after the fact" process.
Sure, moderation can be set up such that posts are checked prior to appearing in the forum/group but more often it is handled by deleting the posts after they appear.
With that process, there is no delay in the appearance of the posts. It then becomes a matter of whether or not the moderator feels that the post is appropriate and whether or not it should be edited or deleted.

Better IMO to warn the poster that he is violating posting rules and then black-ball the poster if he doesn't get his act together.