Make this group Moderated?

Page 2 of 4

No because if it were moderated I couldn't have so much fun with the GUN nuts here !!
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:21:08 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

<smile>.... I forgot but you are correct !! Thanks.
On 4/11/2013 4:20 PM, Doug wrote:

Gun nuts should always be protected by a properly fitted cup and athletic supporter. ^_^
TDD

A damn Democrat did a few years ago. We sent him back to Kalifornia!

Since your post has nothing to do with home repair, you should have used OT in your subject line.
There, you've been moderated. Feel better?
On 4/11/2013 6:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1!

No problem. You can join a moderated group. It is telling that you want to censor others, though.

Well, I don't know that the OP wants to "censor" others in the manner that I assume you imply. (If my assumption is wrong, accept this early apology and ignore the rest of this post.)
IMO, the desire to keep this group a bit more focused on home repair issues is not a bad thing. I hope that is what the OP is asking about.
The completely OT subjects are bad enough, even when called out as such in the subject line, but that's not biggest problem with a.h.r. these days, IMHO.
We reached the point where the mere mention of "code" and/or "law" in relation to a home repair topic eventually leads to someone saying the government is taking over our lives, we all should carry guns, your mother is a leftist commie, FU, Well, FU too!
How many threads that actually started out as a legitimate home repair thread eventually spiraled down into political rantings from those on both sides of the aisle, those in the middle of the aisle and those that don't want others to share any aisle with them?
It's not like there aren't enough usenet groups dedicated to those types of discussions...why does so much of that have to take place in a.h.r.?

We're only slightly on topic in this thread.
These guys act just like I'd expect a bunch of cranky old guys to act.
Unfortunately, a lot of these cranky old guys repair things too.
It's getting harder to tell if they ever contribute anything useful as my kill file grows.
If people would cultivate their kill files instead of engaging in pointless battles, this problem would resolve itself without a moderator.
--
Dan Espen

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:15:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

All true, but I still don't want a moderator.

Yes, exactly. And this thread is a good example of subject "drift".
I'm not all that fond of thread drift. But, others seem to drift as part of every day life. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Yes, exactly. And this thread is a good example of subject "drift".
On 4/11/2013 9:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You described it perfectly. What you have is some folks who just don't get the concept that there are others besides themselves.
This is the same as for example a neighbor who decides to use air tools at 3 AM. Since they know they are the only one that matters they just do it. A normal person knows that life is a give and take thing and you can't have it your way all of the time.
If you were to mention "say Bob its 3 AM and everyone else is sleeping" just like here you would be told it is your problem.

Ummm.... no, it's not.
Unlike neighbors, that have made great efforts/commitments, perhaps lifelong, to be where they now are, you need not be here, at all, and it is by YOUR choice that you are here. If you don't like it, leave. It's as easy and painless as pushing a keyboard button and the only investment is yer ego.
nb

And you can block out the idiot without also blocking the people you want to listen to. (Think of it as noise cancelling the neighbor at 0300 without cutting off the entire neighborhood).
On 4/12/2013 12:11 PM, notbob wrote:

It is exactly the same. It is a give and take social thing. Endless conversations that have nothing to do with home repair are no different than say the people who feel empowered while driving 10 miles under the speed limit in the passing lane or pushing a cart with 83 items into the 10 or less checkout.
Read your response. You gave the exact same response as my example. You "if you don't like it leave" eg "It is your problem".

I can see yer one of those egos that needs attention. And no, as another poster pointed out, you cannot KF yer neighbor, but I can KF you, so again, not the same. *poof*
nb

You can KF your neighbor, but you'll probably do time for it. But you are right about egos, it's funny how the "egos" get deep into a thread and respond, rather than right clicking and marking the conversation read and just moving on. I'm just making a guess here, but I would bet most if not all of those "egos" here are Democrats , too Hell, I mark lots of threads read that I have no interest in, whether repair related or not. I'm my best judge for what i want to read and what I don't, not some moderator
On 4/12/2013 4:42 PM, notbob wrote:

We happen to both be on the same highway. It is two lanes in each direction and the right lane is clogged with slow moving trucks doing 15~20 under the speed limit. I am in the passing lane doing the same speed just because I can.
Maybe I lead a small life and I feel important or whatever. You happen to be behind me. After 20 miles we both get off at the same exit and we happen to be going to the same place. We get out of our vehicles and you ask me what was I thinking holding you and everyone else up. I tell you (with your same response) "You chose to be on the same road as me. You didn't have to do that so it really is your problem..."
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:15:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Of course he does. He's said it.

That's *NOT* what he said. Moderating a group isn't about a "bit" more focused. ...but you too are welcome to find a net group that fits your likes better.

No, it's netcops and whiners (see: mirror).

...and you're forced to read it, right? Oh, the horrors!

...and you're forced to read them all, right? That's just un-American!

Why don't you find a moderated group that fits your tastes better than trying to tell everyone else what to do? Of course, you don't believe in personal responsibility. Got it.