make my own spring

What sort of store should I go to to buy wire to make my own spring?

I only need one.

I take out the springs from everything I scrap, and I have 3 half-pound margerine containers full, and I often have the right one, but not this time. I need about 2 feet of 1 mm or less spring wire.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I realize you're asking for "spring wire" but why not just go to your nearest real hardware store and look in the hardware section where they have the boxes of specialty bolts, etc. They should have a big box with about every size spring you could think of already made up. We have such a selection at the Sears Hardware store I work at and I believe Ace or True Value would also. Tom

Reply to
Tom

This might help...

Rick

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:02:49 GMT "Tom" posted:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a difference between a Sears store and a Sears Hardware store. If so, I don't think any of the latter is around here.

I've never noticed this kind of detailed hardware at Sears. They have a lot of good tools and a regular amount of hinges, and some smaller stuff, but what can I say, I've never seen either bolts or specialty bolts.

I needed a spring to hold my bathtub drain in the open position, and I looked for that at an Ace Hardware. They had lots of springs, but none was quite right. Too small to go around the base, or too big to stay in place. Finally I went back to my own spring supply and used one too thin to last the 24 years that the first spring lasted. I figure it will still last 10 years, and I'll worry about it then. In fact, I did later find repair parts for the drain control at Home Depot. I couldn't buy just the spring, but I could by just the plate, the lever, and the spring. Prior to that I had looked in one plumbing section and found only the entire assembly, with the pipes, the drain hole and screen. I didn't find the plumbing repair section until later.

I think I asked about springs at Home Depot also and they had little to show me. After I had looked. I've tried to look at every item in every aisle, to know what every hardware store I go to would have..

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Yes. Teh Sears Harsware carries a very extensive line of tools, miscellaneous parts, fasteners, gadgets for house repairs, etc. They have paint, appliances, lawn equipment. The do NOT have clothing, furniture, etc.

You will find a good selection of springs at

but they may have a minimum order.. You'd have a far better chance of finding something similar and cutting it than trying to find the piece of spring steel of the size and temper you need and forming one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Go to a hobby shop and ask for music wire. It is spring steel and is available there from 1/32" up to probably 1/4' dia. It is commonly used for model aircraft.

Reply to
Waldo