Make a dive light out of those free HF LEDs

Thought this looked cool even though I doubt I'll ever be diving deeper than I need to in the hot tub.

A drill- some mineral oil & a few minutes time. Tested to 60 feet or so. [he showed his depth watch- I forget what it said]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I thought it was a slick idea as well, pardon the pun. Did you notice the instantaneous brightness of each light followed by a somewhat less intense level of lighting with each light he tried? I've never noticed that with an LED light before.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Jay Hanig wrote in news:BKmko.20814$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.iad:

this LED light is curious;it has all 9 LEDs in parallel,and no current- limiting resistor or other circuit that I could find. It seems to rely on the internal battery impedance to regulate LED current. So,battery type and charge level will be the difference in brightness between different flashlights. I note they are supplied with carbon-zinc batteries,not alkalines.

I also noticed that Bell uses the same LED assembly and battery holder in one of their bicycle headlights,with a different outside housing.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I believe the change in brightness is due to the camera automatically adjusting the brightness for brighter conditions.

Reply to
Tony