Major list of room renovations, what should come first?

We have a 1929 home w/ plaster walls. We need to CAREFULLY remove the current hardwood floor, possibly shim or replace some joists, replace the subfloor, and CAREFULLY reinstall and refinish the hardwood floor. We also need to re-inforce the fireplace mantel from underneath (it looks like they just used a wood box to hold it, looking up at it from the basement) with metal brackets. In the room of the floor being refinished, we need to replace really old wiring (we were told by a DIY electrician guy we could do it without tearing the wall out, by fishing new wire around tied to the old wire as we pull it out, or by fishing the wire around with fishing tools or whatever), and we might need to blow insulation either from the outside or the inside. We also need to paint the room.

What order should these things be done? I know the obvious ones, like paint after the wiring is done, but it seems like some other things could go either way. The fireplace guy said we need to do the mantel last, but a floor guy said we need to have the mantel done first, etc. Plus an insulation guy said do the floor first, but then a different insulation guy said do the floor afterwards. I've had a really hard time getting any local professionals to say the same thing, so I've kind of lost my trust in them, and can also no longer afford to pay people to come here and inspect things and give me completely different answers than the last guy.

Any thoughts would help and be appreciated.

And by the way, I'm a new homeowner with very little money and no experience, so I'll probably be posting on here a LOT. So if I break any rules of posting or whatever, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Reply to
CompleteNewb

I fogot to add that the windows also need to be replaced, as well as one door that leads outside. Sorry

Reply to
CompleteNewb

  1. You may not be able to remove the hardwood floor for exact reuse, carefully or otherwise. But that may be okay if you can live with a "distressed" look (I personally think it adds character). There's going to be at least one board that splinters all to hell when you take it up - do you have spares? Look for compatible planks before you decide to re-use the floor. You may end up choosing a laminate veneer.
  2. The mantel: I'd say last, unless it's an integral part of the fireplace. Heck, they make bolt-on mantles that you can stick up anytime.

In sum, I'd say attack in the following order:

  1. Structural integrity (leveling floor)
  2. Safety concerns (electrical)
  3. Cosmetic items (floor, painting, mantle)

Please post your weird or mundane questions; we don't mind. You'll often get expert advice, and you'll always get some good ideas.

Reply to
HeyBub

The decision comes easier if you know what has to be done. Just stop and think about the process of the job and how it is affected by other projects.

Consider the wiring. You already know the wires have to be pulled through or fished in the walls. Logic says that is easier done in an open space rather than one filled with insulation.

Stuff falls on floors and workmen will be carrying their tools and equipment over it so do the refinishing towards the end.

In any case, try to get some or al of the insulation done before winter.

As for replacing the joists, it may be easier to sister the old ones with new. I can't see them from here so I can't give an absolute answer as could someone looking at them.

You may at times get conflicting information here too, but it is more information to help you make the final decision. Ask as you go along and don't worry about mistakes. You'll make them just as we all did so just move on forward.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In general, things that make a mess are done first, and fine-finish things are done last (after the mess is cleaned up). For example, the floor finish is put on last so it isn't messed up by the guy blowing insulation.

  1. Remove flooring
  2. Remove subflooring
3a. Repair joists 3b. Reinforce fireplace 3c. Replace wiring 3d. Install insulation
  1. Install subflooring
  2. Repair holes from blowing insulation
  3. Paint
  4. Install flooring
  5. Sand and refinish flooring

You can do 3a-3d at the same time since they'll be different people.

Get the flooring and fireplace guys to decide between themselves how to get it done.

Reply to
SteveB

3e and 3f
Reply to
SteveB

After the insulation is in, the wiring may be more difficult. Do it first.

A 1929 house likely has knob and tube wiring. You will not be able to pull new wires in with the old ones.

Reply to
Bob F