Major Appliance Installers in Central Florida?

Hello out there in usenet;

I am shortly to become a "new" home owner, and what home would be a home without expensive kitchen appliances?!? Right?? Oookay. So I ended up buying an electric range from an out of state company because it was recently discontinued and no local vendor could do it. While they say their freight delivery will include delivery inside my home, I am highly doubtful, as my limited experience with freight shipment involves something more akin to a pallete being dropped off on a driveway.

SO I think to myself, I'll call up a local "professional installation" vendor and get a quote! Easier said then !#)%( done! Except for Sears and one repair shop that also was willing to do installation, I have had no luck. No google, no phone books, heck yes I even lookd in the yellow pages.

Where's a dorky new home owner supposed to find some sort of reference/contact info for "professional installers", or do such beasts actually exist? I tried ServiceMagic but that looked like a major shell game so I steered clear. I don't want to give somebody my info as a "lead", I want to call -them-!

Any advice? And for those DIY responses, listen, the range weighs more than I do, and try as I'd like, I don't have 3 thick necked friends I can con over with a case of beer.

cheers :)

Reply to
Jay Kelly

Yea Gas is 50% the price of electric per BTU, You wakey upey girley

Reply to
m Ransley

Try a local electrician.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

snipped-for-privacy@jnlpro.com (Jay Kelly) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Well,electric ranges plug into standard 220VAC outlets,which you probably already have. You need to insure that the range fits into the space you have.with the outlet in reach of the cord.Then you get a hand cart(handtruck?) and use that to move it.Harbor Freight sells them pretty low cost.Use moving pads to protect the range's finish while moving it.

RTFM first.

(How much do you weigh? Electric ranges don't weigh that much.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

By the time you are don,e the saving will be minimal compared to the local guy selling the new unit. Most appliance dealers are not interested in servicing appliances bought from others.

Sears charges plenty for anything they do. What is wrong with the repair shop yo did find?

No, most installers work for the local dealers or are under contract with Hope Depot, Sears, etc. Very few independants exist.

If it has to be brought into the house, find a few local teenagers and give them a few bucks. Ask a neighbor if they have a brute sized kid. Once in place, it is fairly easy to attach the cord and plug it in if the old range had the same configuration. The manual will have details.

Next time, shop around for the full package. My local dealer sells, services, delivers, installs, carts away the old and total cost is within ten bucks of the big "discounters" . He recognizes me when I walk in, he knows what I have if service is needed. I have the ability to so the work myself, but it is sill when all I have to do is sit back and let the pros do it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

This might help.....

the local service that you require.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

you dont need an installer you probably just got to hire some movers... look for a small company and tell them what you got or will probably will get shortly and see what they charge to carry it into the house and set it up???? if its just got to be pluged in then you are all set.. if not then you can get a handy man type to do the electric for you.... hope this helps.

Reply to
dbird

Thanks everybody for your helpful comments! To wit I have the proper electric and breaker necessary for hookup - yay - and if the freight guy is unwilling to puit on a handcart and bring it inside, I found a local moving place that'll help me by renting me the cart for $15 or just coming out and doing it for $30 :)

For the record I am a puny 150lbs :)

Reply to
Jay Kelly