Maintinence Draining a hot water heater

Is it as simple as attaching a hose and draining? It is a gas heater, I assume that the gas needs to be turned off first. I live outside Phoenix where the water is HARD, I am sure this heater hasnt been drained since the house was new 6 years ago. It needs to be done I am sure. Just want to make sure I do it the right way. Thanks Brandon
Brandon wrote:

Gets discussed (to death) weekly.
Do a GOOGLE "Advanced" search for this group and: water heater draining.
http://groups.google.com /
(over 700 hits)
Jim
Yep. About that simple. Except that the faucet is probably rotted shut. And won't want to close properly. Will probably drip when you're finished.
No, don't turn off the gas. Not needed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

This is Turtle.
Do you suggest let the burners run while your draining the tank dry and refilling it?
TURTLE