Maintinence Draining a hot water heater

Is it as simple as attaching a hose and draining? It is a gas heater, I assume that the gas needs to be turned off first. I live outside Phoenix where the water is HARD, I am sure this heater hasnt been drained since the house was new 6 years ago. It needs to be done I am sure. Just want to make sure I do it the right way. Thanks Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

Gets discussed (to death) weekly.

Do a GOOGLE "Advanced" search for this group and: water heater draining.

(over 700 hits)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yep. About that simple. Except that the faucet is probably rotted shut. And won't want to close properly. Will probably drip when you're finished.

No, don't turn off the gas. Not needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

If you are just looking to flush the water heater you can turn down the temperature, then turn the pilot light to the "pilot" position, then wait for the temperature in the tank to drop enough so that your hose won't melt before you can flush it. I don't drain it to flush, I leave incoming water on.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

This is Turtle.

Do you suggest let the burners run while your draining the tank dry and refilling it?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE