Maintaining VCT Tile

Charles Spitzer

I just had a new VCT tile floor laid (professionally) today; the superintendent is applying a sealer tomorrow.

I asked the installer what maintenance I would have to do on the new floor and he said I should wax it regularly but when I asked him what type of wax to use and how often to apply it, he shrugged and said he didn't know; he only installed floors but didn't get involved with the maintenance side of things. I found this a bit suprising - he said he'd learned floor installing from his dad, who had 33 years in the business - but thought I'd ask here for any advice on the proper way of maintaining this floor.

I should mention that I am renting so I really don't want to spend a lot of time or money on maintaining this floor but I'd be willing to do a bit if it makes a dramatic difference in the life of the floor.

Reply to
Rhino

Unfortunately, this only talks about an initial sealing after the floor is laid which, as I've said, is going to happen tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know if I have to do any further periodic maintenance of the floor? For instance, do I have to reseal it periodically or is the initial sealing going to last the life of the floor? How should I clean the floor when it gets dirt and spills on it? Are there any particular cleaners or cleaning tools I should use or avoid?

Rhino

Reply to
Rhino

VCT is similiar to what the supermarkets have on their floors. It does require periodic stripping and waxing/sealing depending how heavy the floor gets used. You will know when it's time when the floor looks dull. Home Depot carries a whole array of products for VCT floors. Any spills should just come up with a sponge or mop.

Reply to
Mikepier