Main Water Line Question

My main water line (1/2" copper pipe) comes in through the bottom of my basement wall and bends/slopes outward from the wall about two feet then connects to the main shut-off and water meter (all on the floor).

I need to replace the main shut-off because it is rusted and leaking. Since I am doing that I want to raise the shut-off and water meter off the ground. My question is: is there anything wrong with putting an elbow connector right where the water line enters the house so I can run the new pipe up against the wall to another elbow which will then run to the shut-off and water meter.

This is basically what I want to do:

___SHUT-OFF____METER___ | | | | ELBOW UP

Thank you for all your help.

B. McKechnie

Reply to
Brian McKechnie

Mine has an elbow. Be sure to use one of the new ball valves with 1/4 turn handle.

Reply to
Art

The utility may have insisted that the line be solid, without soldered fittings, to the shutoff. They do that because of the greater danger of a soldered fitting bursting/pulling off.

Ask them. You're going to have to have the water shut off at the curb anyway.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Call your utility, they will come out and advise you to code and the correct way . DO NOT disconnect their meter , let them cut the wire and advise you and lock the meter when you finish. My utility co was great and gave me some free parts to help. Tampering with a meter is illegal.

Reply to
m Ransley

My utility co. doesn't seem to think the rusted shut-off and leaky water meter is a problem. Basically they told me it was my problem to fix. They are turning off the water at the curb for me and they are aware of what I am doing.

I figured it might cause more of a risk of bursting if there was elbows before the shut-off instead of one solid line. I have also heard it might lower my pressure (which is not that strong to begin with). I think I might just use the existing line into the shut-off then upgrade the pipes to the meter, etc.

Thanks for all your comments.

B. McKechnie

Reply to
Brian McKechnie

I question the accuracy of that 1/2" as a main water line. Here in NY they used to be 1 & 1/2 and then dropped fdown to 1" when pressures increased and distribution systems improved, and then since the 60's they're all 3/4" unless you paid extra. Every residential meter I've seen is called a 5/8ths meter.

Never saw a 1/2" service.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I wanted to get my main line upgraded to at least 3/4". The utility co. came out dug a hole and checked the line. They said that it was a fairly new 1/2" copper line and they would not recommend replacing it. They also said the line had nothing to do with any of my problems (leaking, pressure, etc.) and that it was internal problems.

I still plan to get the line upgraded but not until next summer when I have to dig anyway to seal foundation cracks at the front of my house. For the time being I have to get a new shut-off installed (if I touch the current shut-off pieces fall off and I would not dare even try to turn it).

B. McKechnie

Reply to
Brian McKechnie

The shut off valve is probably causing your poor pressure. Replace it with the new quarter turn ball valve.

Reply to
Art