main ground

i believe code specifies 2 rods.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I pounded in a copper 8 ft ground rod and purchased a clamp.Queston #1 What size solid copper wire do I need to buy?(4 or 6) #2 Does the wire attach to the meter box or the sevice panel.(or both)? 200 amp ,new construction disconnect and main inside service panel. The service panel and meter box are connected with grey pvc not emt. thanks Gary

Reply to
karla

Either is adequate, but there's not much difference in cost and the #4 requires no physical protection whereas the #6 might.

It attaches to whichever box contains the main disconnect for the building. (Or is it the main overcurrent protection device? Usually they are the same thing.)

Also, you should use 2 ground rods; it's cheaper and easier than testing the impedence to make sure it is less than 25 ohms. A third ground rod is not required even if the GEC impedence is still more than 25 ohms after you add the 2nd electrode.

Don't forget to ground your water pipe within 6 feet of where it enters the building, and put a #6 jumper wire around the water meter so the circuit is not broken if the meter is removed.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

On 2-11 Wm Deans asked about this grounding of the water line coming into the house. Can you answer him please. He has a specific question that the inspector is giving him grief with.

The post is titled "Grounding water pipe"

Thanks

Reply to
Geoman

If memory serves me right, only if you can't get a 25 ohm or less resistance to ground. Then you put the second one in for good measure.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

5 feet?