Main breaker location

Page 2 of 2

Killed the double pole breaker and none of the other breakers went dead.
I will try to anticipate your next question.
No, I will not send you the box because you don't believe it's not a split bus panel. :-)
Andy
Killed the double pole breaker and none of the other breakers went dead.
If it were a split buss panel, you would undoubtedly have more than a single double pole breaker
It is entirely possible that the service was installed improperly, especially if the meter equipment and panel are of a mid 60's vintage
I will try to anticipate your next question.
No, I will not send you the box because you don't believe it's not a split bus panel. :-)
Andy

If a service panel is feeding a subpanel 150' away in a separate building, would the subpanel then require it's own disconnect?

If a service panel is feeding a subpanel 150' away in a separate building, would the subpanel then require it's own disconnect?
Yes

The Service Disconnecting Means may consist of up to six sets of fuses, sets of circuit breakers with listed handle ties, circuit breakers, or fused pull outs. Building Disconnecting Means are treated as if they were Service Disconnecting Means. What is required to have not more then two disconnecting means is any panel that has more then ten percent of it's circuits at thirty amperes or less and having a grounded current carrying conductor as part of the circuit.
-- Tom Horne