main breaker in house blowing

Page 2 of 2
AKA gray asphalt wrote:

It probably has the control transformer on it -- without the 24VAC from that, your thermostat won't be able to pull in the relays that control the compressor and air handler.
The actual AC breakers trip the AC too.

To be on the safe side ,I would recommend you call a certified electrician. You could end up with one hell of a fire if your main breaker is at fault. Electricity is one element you don't take chances with. One error and you can loose a LIFETIME. Enough said. Jack
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:29:25 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"

If you had a 100 amp service, with 40 - 15 amp branches, and each drawing 5 amps(well below their trip setpoints), 40 x 4 amps = 200 amps. The 100 main breaker seems like it's doing its job.
IMHO, get an electrican, and a load calc performed.
tom @ www.Reasons-To-Quit-Smoking.com