Maglite problem

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

Thx, P

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Check the Mag web page as they have repair information there, as well as where to send it for warranty repairs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you find out, let me know. I got one just like it. One of these days, I'll completely disassemble it, and find out. I think that some electrical goop on the threads helps to counteract the oxidation. Maybe even a little brushing with a small wire brush. I mean there's only a few parts in there.

Steve

factoid: in the base of each light under the spring, in a plastic thingus, there's an extra bulb.

Reply to
SteveB

Puddin' Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No signs of battery leakage inside the tube? (vinegar works good for removing alkaline battery leakage) When you remove the front bell to replace the bulb,does the black plastic part spring up and can it be pressed down and spring back when released? That is how the lamp gets turned on.

it's common for the bulb filament to deposit a black film inside the bulb,reducing light output.

I installed a Nite-Ize LED mod on my AA Maglite,and a tailcap switch,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Dont they have a lifetime warranty, send it in.

Reply to
ransley

I've been thru everything but the switch which requires a special tool ...

I brushed, I lubed, etc etc. The gal at Mag svc. (800 283 5562) promised a new switch/tool, maybe 2 weeks, no cost, didn't ask about warranty info. I dunno what else it could be.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Give me a drop address and I'll send you a new one.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model? Every place I have found want to ship it priority mail for $5. This is for a $1 part.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Warranty is rather meaningless, since shipping cost is close to the cost of a replacement unit. My first Maglite cost 40 bucks at a gun shop. Ten years later, after that one got stolen, the replacement cost about half that (and it showed) from a 'regular' big-box store. In the old days Zippo lighters used to have a similar warranty- they would just stuff new guts in and send it back. aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

B'damn, they do!

From

:"Limited Lifetime Warranty in the Western Hemisphere and Japan; Ten- Year Limited Warranty Elsewhere."

Try 800 283 5562.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Go to a plastic shop , buy a small piece and cut your own

Reply to
Rudy

Wrong. You can mail the maglite in a bubble mailer for around $2.50 or mail it in the USPO smallest priority mail box for $4.60

Reply to
Abe

The highest resistance is at the butt-end. Between the screw-cap and body, and screw-cap and spring. Anodizing is not your best conductor!

Reply to
pheeh.zero

For some reason, I had not even thought of that. It would take me a little time but I may very well do it.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Every time you go shopping, you bring home items packaged in clear plastic. Just cut out a piece from that. It may be thinner, but so what?

Reply to
willshak

Hi, Probably problem with switch. Time to replace?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you know what one of those LONG 4 or 6 D cell units are used for? My daughter used to carry it (she's a PO) but went to a smaller LED. She gave it to me, and it's such a log, it ain't worth a crap for anything. I know they're good for smackin perps, but now they got pepper spray and tasers and snap batons. It's just a big expensive piece of crud in my estimation.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have a couple of 3 Watt LED's. They are good but they will go through a set of batteries in about 4 hours. I have put a LED in the Maglight and it works just as good as a regular bulb. It will also go about 35 to 40 hours on one set of batteries. It is also handy as a club. :)

Reply to
Jim Rusling

The Mag company sells replacement parts. Or, they did many years ago.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

Mini Mags take several maint procedures:

  • Unscrew the tail cap. Use a cotton swab (Q-tip) and a little oil to clean the threads, internal and external.
  • PUll the little spring out of the tail cap. Clean that, and the hole where it fits. Same deal, swab and some light oil. WD-40 is good.
  • Unscrew the entire lens head off, as if you were changing the bulb. Remove the bulb. Gently pull the "DO NOT REMOVE" part from the end. The inside part can now slide out. Swab and oil, to clean the metal parts. Leave the metal pieces in the round plastic, they are a PIA to get back in. Set the round plastic with the two metal pieces into the tube, and use two batteries to push it back in. Replace the plastic part you pulled out. Replace bulb, then lens assembly, and then tail cap.

You and I must be engineers. No one else spends two hours maintaining a ten dollar flash light. Check also, are both batteries pointing same direction?