Maglite problem

Page 1 of 2
Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.
Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.
Any ideas?
Thx, P
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Check the Mag web page as they have repair information there, as well as where to send it for warranty repairs.

a replacement unit. My first Maglite cost 40 bucks at a gun shop. Ten years later, after that one got stolen, the replacement cost about half that (and it showed) from a 'regular' big-box store. In the old days Zippo lighters used to have a similar warranty- they would just stuff new guts in and send it back. aem sends...

Wrong. You can mail the maglite in a bubble mailer for around $2.50 or mail it in the USPO smallest priority mail box for $4.60

If you find out, let me know. I got one just like it. One of these days, I'll completely disassemble it, and find out. I think that some electrical goop on the threads helps to counteract the oxidation. Maybe even a little brushing with a small wire brush. I mean there's only a few parts in there.
Steve
factoid: in the base of each light under the spring, in a plastic thingus, there's an extra bulb.

I've been thru everything but the switch which requires a special tool ...

I brushed, I lubed, etc etc. The gal at Mag svc. (800 283 5562) promised a new switch/tool, maybe 2 weeks, no cost, didn't ask about warranty info. I dunno what else it could be.
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

No signs of battery leakage inside the tube? (vinegar works good for removing alkaline battery leakage) When you remove the front bell to replace the bulb,does the black plastic part spring up and can it be pressed down and spring back when released? That is how the lamp gets turned on.
it's common for the bulb filament to deposit a black film inside the bulb,reducing light output.
I installed a Nite-Ize LED mod on my AA Maglite,and a tailcap switch,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Dont they have a lifetime warranty, send it in.
in

B'damn, they do!
From http://www.maglite.com/productline.asp : "Limited Lifetime Warranty in the Western Hemisphere and Japan; Ten- Year Limited Warranty Elsewhere."
Try 800 283 5562.
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Please, what's this "LED mod"? (and how to install it?) (and $cost?)
Ditto for tailcap-switch.
Does that mean that now you have TWO ways to turn (toggle?) it on/off?
Thanks!
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in

you can get just the LED module alone,or a kit of the LED module and the tailcap switch. IIRC,Target had the combo for ~$8 USD. Wal-Mart just sells the LED module for a tad under $5 USD. Both come with a replacement reflector with a larger hole for the 3 LEDs.
Yes,you have the tail switch and the screw/unscrew methods. the tailcap button is easier to use one-handed.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:04:21 +0000, Puddin' Man wrote:

Give me a drop address and I'll send you a new one.

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model? Every place I have found want to ship it priority mail for $5. This is for a $1 part.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Go to a plastic shop , buy a small piece and cut your own

little time but I may very well do it.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
on 8/28/2007 7:36 AM Jim Rusling said the following:

plastic. Just cut out a piece from that. It may be thinner, but so what?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Do you know what one of those LONG 4 or 6 D cell units are used for? My daughter used to carry it (she's a PO) but went to a smaller LED. She gave it to me, and it's such a log, it ain't worth a crap for anything. I know they're good for smackin perps, but now they got pepper spray and tasers and snap batons. It's just a big expensive piece of crud in my estimation.
Steve

through a set of batteries in about 4 hours. I have put a LED in the Maglight and it works just as good as a regular bulb. It will also go about 35 to 40 hours on one set of batteries. It is also handy as a club. :)
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

The AA version or the C or D cell versions?

I put a 3-LED Nite-ize mod in my 2AA Maglite. It's pretty good on batteries,and it gives a white light instead of the incandescent's yellow.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So, I suppose this is one way to create such a thing! Yes?
David