MagicJack question

Page 1 of 2

MagicJack suggests on their FAQ's that to save power you can turn your monitor off and shut the hard drive down within the control panel of your computer. I believe they are suggesting the standby mode even though they don't say "standby"
Any ways my question is this. Instead of shutting the computer down it would be nice to put the computer in standby during the night so that calls could still be answered. However on my computer as long as the USB MagicJack is plugged into the computer the computer refuses to go into standby. Can you put your MagicJack equipped computer into standby, or is it just me that can't?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

No, I can't, the lowest power consumption is by letting the drives and monitor turn off. Most boxes, especially laptops are surprizingly low on power consumption, however. I turn my box with MJ off at night along with the router and cable modem. In emergencies, folks know to call my prepaid cellphone. btw, I can retrieve cellphone VMs via magicjack with no air time charge, so I rarely use cellphone minutes.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 14, 8:47 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I wonder if what you save in your phone bill isnt negated by computer electric consumption, 100w, 24 x 7 x 30 = $15 a month for me. Computers consume 100 to maybe 500w, think about that, my landline is cheaper I figured and my computer will last longer. Standby mode would help alot.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:23:44 -0700 (PDT), ransley

If the computer is solely on for the phone then yes you can spend $15 a month on electricity. Seeing how my computer is on anyway's I would only have the computer on for the extra 10 hours during the night and it would cost me $5 for 200 watts per hour.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:55:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

And I would have the computer doing something useful, like BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu /) rather than just sitting around waiting for you to use the phone.
BTW, BOINC is good about getting out of the way when you want to use the computer yourself.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Or you could use it for SETI. They just found bigfoot in Georgia. Maybe ET is next. <grin>
Add pictures here
✖

SETI is one of many scientific projects available for BOINC.

That would be YETI@home , here's a link: http://www.phobe.com/yeti /.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
✖
On 8/16/2008 4:07 PM Mark Lloyd spake thus:

Funny; last night on the local news (the "Bigfoot" crap was announced in a hotel down here in Palo Alto), one station ran a quick debunking of this whole "Yeti" nonsense by Seth Shostak, one of the SETI scientists.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
✖

They spoofed us. Of course, I never expected anything else from "The Bigfoot Hunter" himself.
On Fox News Megan Kelly asked Tom "Bigfoot Hunter" Bascardi.....why not let us have a look at it? He said........when we have the press conference, we want you there. He never came out and said she could see it then, but the implication was that she would be able to see it.
The guy that claims he has it is a Georgia policeman. He and his website have been getting death threats from other Bigfoot hunters.
I don't think for a second that Fox News actually thought they had a Bigfoot, but presented the "expert" as credible in the initial interview. What a crock.
The day of the conference, no one was taking it seriously.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/16/2008 4:07 PM Mark Lloyd spake thus:

To be more exact, SETI@home, their "distributed computing" search-for-LGM[1] project.

Here's an amusing account of the Bigfoot press conference from a reporter who was there: http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_10218835?source=rss
[1] Little green men
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
✖
ransley wrote:

I suspect you meant 100w x 24 x 30 to get the $15 per month, around 20 cents per KWH?
actually, typical computers 'idling' along (not in standby) draw somewhat less than most folks think. With the Monitor (40 watts for LCD and around 85 watts for CRT) powered down, laptops use around 35 watts and desktops around 60 watts). add another 15 watts for router and modem. These are broad swags drawn from:
http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/hardware/powerusage.html
This would drop the idle computer's power noticably below 100 watts, especially laptops, when used for 24/7 MagicJack.
What does your landline cost monthly with all fees and taxes? Mine from ATT was $33/mo with *no* options and *no* long distance. $7 to $15 per month for MJ power is much cheaper. Not to mention a good set of call options and free domestic MJ LD.. Around $30 per month saved would buy a new PC in fairly short order.
My power consumption is much lower about 12 hours, 5 days a week. (I let MJ VM catch calls when powered off). I'm away from this location two days a week. I also use my PC, with a FM/TV/Graphics card for sound, cable, and ota tv, so I'm not burning power on a TV/Stereo.
I'm looking forward to the MJ port to linux, then we can do a flash drive based MJ 'ATA' on a cheap laptop with a busted display. A poorboy MJ thin-client.
I noticed today that Intel has launched a series of MotherBoards That can 'wake' on voip and lan. Looks promising.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley's wrong again:

Think about the $75 2-watt Norhtec 486 clone.
Nick
Add pictures here
✖
On 16 Aug 2008 06:26:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Nope.
Just because the power supply is rated for 500w doesn't mean it is using 500W.
With only one hard drive, most (idle) computers are still under 150W. I would say under 100W.
Add about 15W per hard drive. Which is really closer to 10W.
Add pictures here
✖

OK. Don't think :-)

I'd say 2 watts max for the PC above.

What hard drive?
It's about 4"x4"x2" tall, with no hard drive or keyboard or display, just connectors, including 3 USB. We added Ubuntu linux with a 1-wire file system (OWFS) on a $10 1 GB flash ram to handle a string of $2 Dallas sensors that respond with a 12 bit temperature after they see their factory-programmed 64-bit address go by on a single shared twisted pair.
The best part is Ubuntu's bwbasic, which is almost identical to gwbasic :-)
Nick
Add pictures here
✖
On 16 Aug 2008 10:56:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

I was replying to the statement that the computers used from 100-500 watts.
Guess I did that wrong.
Sorry
Add pictures here
✖

Unfortunately Magicjack needs an energy wasting full blown computer with a GUI OS running their proprietary client just to use it. When the class of machine you mentioned (or less) is all it takes to implement an ATA to support VoIP. We have VoIP in the office and the two line ATA is just an efficient tiny box with a dedicated processor.
Add pictures here
✖
George wrote:

Nope. Use an older XP laptop with a busted screen and/or busted keyboard. Plug in a monitor and keyboard and install MagicJack. Unplug the monitor/keyboard, plug a telephone into the MJ and you've got an ATA (analog telephone adaptor). Uses around 20 watts of AC. About a dime a day.
The MJ and its services are fully accessible from a standard phone, no need to use the MJ GUI/window on a computer screen. Screen and keyboard not required.

And I strongly suspect that you're paying a heck of a lot more than $20 per year to rent the ATA and the two line service, yes?
Another way to view the MJ is to use it as a simple, cheap computer accessory. We use sound cards to listen to music, tuner cards for radio and TV, why not add a phone to the mix? Especially a phone adaptor you can carry in your pocket and use most anywhere? Savings on long distance easily pays for it. I often spend 12 hours per day on a computer, it's mighty handy to have MJ/caller ID popup on incoming calls.
Add pictures here
✖
Leroy wrote:

Any likely you know that laptops don't do well in 24x7 service. Pity you even need to haybale something like this.

Sure, but it needs to work and we needed to be able to port our existing numbers which is impossible with magicjack. Also when magicjack goes out of business it would likely be pretty involved to get our now unworking numbers released for porting.

Add pictures here
✖
George wrote:

I was showing that MJ doesn't require a 'full blown', power hungry computer nor a GUI. I really don't consider a laptop on an out of the way shelf 'haybaling'. And thank you for the pity, but I really don't need or appreciate it.

I have not and would not recommend MJ for business use. For that matter I'd not recommend any voip for business service without an automatic landline switchover. But, for personal, residential use, it's been more than adequate for me.
Add pictures here
✖
: 7bit

You really don't have that power.

Not a matter of want, it is working.

Well, pardon me for questioning one with such technical and business acumen. It took several posts, but you finally said you think MJ will fail, rather than hinting around. It may, indeed, fail but in the meanwhile I'm getting a great deal on phone service without feeding the telecom giants.

This sounds like the words of a condescending mindreader to me. You don't suffer from a lack of ego, do you?

Why? I agree that MJ may fail. I just intend to ride it while it hasn't.
Add pictures here
✖