Magicjack Echo Problem

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think I'll recommend Skype instead.

How long did you have it before the echo problem started?
I tried one and found it unreliable.
If you have waited too long to send it back, you might consider loaning the thing to friends. I would be interested in how many hit and misses you get.

Must have had it for a year. Occasional break ups but this echo problem's constant.

Good idea.

Are you using MJ with a conventional telephone, or the computers mic and speakers?

Tried both conventional phone and headset plugged into sound card, get echo both ways.

If you are using MJ with a conventional phone try opening your computers volume controls and mute a few sliders to see if it solves your problem.

Tried that, was one of their trouble shooting procedures, still echo.

Magic Jack (or whatever). Anything that has to advertised on 'Infomercial' TV, along with knives that never dull, plastic gadgets that claim the impossible etc. should be a warning! Good products get known and are talked and published about in the right places.
What we have heard is that MJ is anything but a "Just plug in and play" system as advertised. The fact that problems are due 'only' to powering via the USP port also seems unlikely? And any/all of these internet systems have to connect (at least at the moment) back into the regular (local) telephone networks to complete calls.
We have tried a couple of different VOIP phone systems/methods. Within North America and between NA and the middle East. But even downloading some extra s.ware to 'tune or condition' the audio problems the quality and getting through on a first attempt were very much a matter of how well the internet and the local ISP handled it.
With VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) we had similar problems with echo and delay; also that voice delay was not constant it varied from moment to moment (probably as packets of data were routed though the internet suffering various delays?). Same as trying to watch a TV (or music) feed, live, via the internet.
Using VOIP for voice calls the situation was very much akin to claiming reliable commuter service getting to work daily by using several local bus companies between towns! Sometimes works well other times schedules don't fit!
Cell phone coverage and quality: The phasing out of analog here and elsewhere, along with the use of various blue tooth gadgets to allow hands-free while driving seems to have decreased the quality of cell phone audio to very poor. I almost hate it when one daughter talks to me from her mobile! Too many repeats "What was that????".
Also the cell phone coverage to, previously 30 or even 50 miles offshore, has deteriorated. Mainly affecting a few commercial fishers who previously could make business and personal calls from more powerful 'bag-phones' (up to 5 watts output AFIK). These are now useless. Apparently digital use numerous lower power towers and the cell phones are more complex to provide numerous 'other' services (and smaller and smaller buttons!), have lower power and longer battery life.
Comes to mind that the worst combination could be VOIP connecting via a digital cell phone; with someone who does not speak one's native language quite as well or with a heavy accent! (What we have here is a 'Failure to communicate'!)
One wonders as we rush (much more slowly in this area) to digital TV with its supposed advantages whether it is worth while to throw away a well working technology?
It is interesting to note that aircraft in the interests of simplicity and apparently easier to 'get through' a weak signal in an emergency, still use analog VHF (Very high frequency) signals introduced before and during WWII in the 108 to 128 megahertz band. Just above the 88 to 108 FM (Frequency Modulation) band; but using analog voice modulation. They also use some other frequencies up around 220 to 400 mHz.
Old time telephone networks were built to provided very high reliability and 'reasonable' voice quality. Also service access was measured constantly whether via operators or by automatic/self-dial service. The service was built to have sufficient capacity based on one blocked call in 100 during a normal busy hour period (that didn't included Christmas, Thanksgiving or Mother's days, which were considered 'extreme' but often offered lower rates. Telephone operators were measured on 'Speed of answer' within ten seconds and extra staff were called in and added if call loads were higher than expected. And telephone service personnel, especially operators were acclaimed and noted for their spirit of service and cooperation. All that cost money.
Nowadays communication services are competitive and something of a rat race! Why should a telephone company, for example, fix the wiring 'within' your home or include a printed book listing telephone numbers? Many of the numbers are sisiued by other 'providers' and we probably have other 'cheap' phones made in Taiwan, or Brazil that do not provide good voice quality standard.
Caveat Emptor or we get what we pay for etc.?