Magic Jack update

I have solved the echo problem, by turning down the Magic Jack mic and speaker levels.

Magic Jack also seems to work better using a phone with a power supply. I think power it takes to ring the phone was causing problems with the incoming calls. I am pretty sure that having USB 2 is a plus and I would think a power hub would be even better. The phone I am using is cordless and has a spare handset so I can make calls from two locations. I think, with a power hub, it may allow you to back feed your incoming service from a phone jack and ring all the phones in the house, but I don't think I will be trying that any time soon.

Since I have started using the new phone, I still made one unsuccessful out going call. The phone rang once and then I could not hear the ringing anymore. I hung up and tried again and it worked fine.

It is not super reliable, but it seems to work satisfactory for 20 bucks a month. I can safely drop my long distance service. Not a big savings as I make very few long distance calls. It may be able to replace my phone service, but I am not giving it up yet.

I think it may be a keeper. Still not willing to have the land line disconnected yet, but I may change to the 17 buck no frills package and stop paying 35 for caller ID package.

I do have a pre paid phone for emergencies

Reply to
metspitzer

Hey! That should be $20 per *year* ! Quite a difference! My MJ was worked very well. Using a Panasonic wireless phone plugged into it. I've made lots of calls in the past few weeks and it's been rock solid. The voicemail delivered as email is very handy, too. Goodbye SBC/ATT landline. I keep a $100 per year GoPhone for emergencies and road use.

here's a good MJ forum:

Leroy

I found that one already. Thanks. That is how solved my echo problem.

Having a voice mail delivered as an email would be more useful if it were a .mp3 of the voice mail message.

I still haven't figured out how to play the voice mail messages from the headset I have plugged into the Magic Jack computer.

I can play them from the phone I have plugged into it though.

It would be nice if the software would let you just click on the message you want to play/delete/save and not have to go through that recorded menu system.

Reply to
metspitzer

Be sure to disconnect the phone company lines first.

Does Magic have a REN printed on it? You're supposed to be able to use that to figure out how many phones it'll ring.

Some people have multi-handset cordless phones, so a houseful of phones can use as little ringer current as one.

I don't make many long distance calls now, but I could have used something like this 15 years ago (no internet connection, calling BBSes and relatives a lot).

I like to have caller ID. It helps you to know when not to answer calls, including calls from unknown businesses (including no name, but toll-free number), and others.

Recently, there have been a bunch identified as "PENSACOLA, FL" that have been trying to sell an "extended warranty" on a car more than 10 years old (and don't care I'm on the national do not call list).

That's the main reason for having my pre paid cell phone.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd